DJ Shadow

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
WillisDrummond

DJ Shadow

Post by WillisDrummond » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:55 pm

I recently picked up the Palm Pictures DVD for the film Scratch, the documentary on turntablism. It piqued my interest and I'm starting to get addicted to the DJ Shadow tracks I've picked up from his Preemptive Strike album.

I'm curious if anyone has any recent information on Shadow, what he's up to, and if he's doing any shows. Also, if anyone has any info on the turntabling scene in the Bay Area, please post it. Thanks.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:16 am

Shadow's awesome Will. If you dig his shit then by all means find a copy of 'Brainfreeze'. It's a gig he did with cut Chemist (dj from J5). That was my first Shadow album and it blew my mind. They scratch using a smaple of someone slurping a slurpee.

But be warned...he is classed as 'hiphop' so you may find your opinion of hiphop changing. Just don't tell Doug :D
ImageImage

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:07 am

I've been listening to Private Press for a good part of 2004 and I still listen to it. Great, great album. DJ Shadow is also fantastic live. I saw him at the House of Blues in LA and he has one of the coolest multimedia presentations I've ever seen. The images in the background are beautifully timed to his beats and it was really hypnotic. In fact, there were some parts of the show that I still think back on for inspiration...

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:00 am

Are you into Dj Krush Kazu? He visited my town a month ago and he was mind blowing. The layers that guy produces are astounding. Everyone was dancing in a different style ant they all matched every different kind of beat that was playing.

Will, if you dig Shadow check our Krush. He's the japanese equivalent
ImageImage

Niall

Post by Niall » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:24 am

i love dj shadow. I have the private press and endtroducing, and I like a few songs off of private press, but there are some samples which I just find sort of annoying.
like that "what cho gonna do now one?"

To answer your question willis, I think he might be focusing on unkle for a bit, who in my opinion aren't really all that good, they're a bit too dance music-ey for me.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:42 am

I've just recied Private Press. I've always been a big DJ Shadow fan and this album further solidifies my admiration and love of his hypnotic beats. :)

dan

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:41 pm

Azzamckazza wrote:Shadow's awesome Will. If you dig his shit then by all means find a copy of 'Brainfreeze'. It's a gig he did with cut Chemist (dj from J5). That was my first Shadow album and it blew my mind. They scratch using a smaple of someone slurping a slurpee.

But be warned...he is classed as 'hiphop' so you may find your opinion of hiphop changing. Just don't tell Doug :D
Brainfreeze is soooo good! I love that record quite a lot. DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist are two fantastic artists. Speaking of DJs from Jurassic 5, Nu-mark came out with a solo album, I'd love to hear one from Cut Chemist!

Ah, but to stay on topic...Shadow is great. Private Press is an amazing album. But it's weird...all of the songs are good, but I don't really like listening to them individually (you know, like on a random playlist) nearly as much as listening to the album as a whole.
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:46 pm

Niall wrote: To answer your question willis, I think he might be focusing on unkle for a bit, who in my opinion aren't really all that good, they're a bit too dance music-ey for me.
Is he? From what I understood, he didn't have anything to do with the "Never Never Land" album. But I may have been misinformed.

That album is okay, but yeah, it's very much dance music. The first one though (the one with Mike D, Thom Yorke, etc), it's really good! And that one was more like, a particular artist performs a song in whatever style they would normally, and then Shadow remixes it...
Visit the Tragic Planet!

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:02 am

Thanks for the info guys. Any other DJ recommendations are welcome.

Has anyone seen Scratch?
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:06 pm

WillisDrummond wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Any other DJ recommendations are welcome.

Has anyone seen Scratch?
Well, one of my very favorites is Kid Koala. That guy is amazing. Especially the album "Carpel Tunnel Syndrome." It's almost not as much music as it is like...funny little skits and experimentation, but all done with sampling and scratching and things like that. Plus his albums always come with comics drawn by him, and games like chess or enhanced cd video games and things like that. Now I hear he's working on a puppet show!
Visit the Tragic Planet!