Elliott Smith

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
neil

Post by neil » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:14 am

Kazu wrote: I just hate knowing there won't be any more... :(
That is really sad... Look at Loretta Lynn, still kickin' in her 70's. But they did say in the article that the 2 disc set was shortened to 1, so maybe they'll save something up... It's not the same of course.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:25 pm

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:35 pm

That's pretty cool.

Did anyone check out the link to "Future Soundtrack for America"? It's a kickass comp of Elliot, REM, TMBG and Tom Waits and is coming out at about the same time.

Here be link-

http://www.barsuk.com/web.cgi?fsfa
"I love you like a fat kid loves cake."
-50 Cent

neil

Post by neil » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:28 pm

Thanks for the news, Sketchy.

SQUEAL! My super-pirate friend is downloading the new Elliott Smith album NOW!!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:04 pm

The new album is really nice. Still letting it sink in though.. There's some very different stuff on here.

Monk

Post by Monk » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:13 am

Also re: the Future Soundtrack of America - McSweeney's is publishing a 'Future Dictionary of America' that will come bundled with the album. All proceeds go to progressively-minded democratic organizations.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:48 am

"Twilight," the first official MP3 from From a Basement on the Hill, is now available for download.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:46 pm

A short RealAudio/Windows Media NPR feature on Elliott Smith's latest album.

From the NPR site:
----
Smith's younger sister, Ashley Welch, shared memories of listening to the new songs with him in the car. She recalls that each time Smith's song "A Passing Feeling" came on, "he would always kind of shush the car… right before this drum fill towards the end… and it just made him laugh every time. And it made me laugh because every time this part would come up, he'd put his hands up, and he'd have this big goofy grin on his face, and then you'd see him air drumming in the car."
----

The album is really, really good, by the way.

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:05 am

I heartily endorse Elliott's final album. If not for the music, then the card stock they use for the CD case, which smells lovely.

For those of you looking for something new, Madeleine Peyroux, a heavy jazz singer, covers Smith's "Between the Bars" on her new CD. It's an interesting cover and her voice reminds me of Nina Simone.
"I love you like a fat kid loves cake."
-50 Cent

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:37 am

Like the others have said, this one is very different. It was soothing to listen to while going to sleep last night. I'll have to give it a few more spins, but I already like it a lot. Elliott Smith had that rare spark in his music and his voice, the feeling you get from listening to his music is like that which you get from listening to Mozart, or the Beatles. Sigh... He'll surely be missed... :(

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:06 am

Is Basement not the album that Elliott would have wanted? It's true that "Coast To Coast," "Strung Out Again," and "Shooting Star" (one of my immediate favourites off the album) have some pretty raw & dense production, even if they were mixed again by Schnapf and Bolme. It really does make me wonder if this was a new direction he was heading in... I actually like the fact that these tracks really are different from the rest of his past work (and in a good way).

serendipity

Post by serendipity » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:05 am

Do you know you can download "unfinished" tracks from FABOTH here?

http://www.zshare.net/download/55570697a6eaa373/

or

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?402tywgzobz

They have recently leaked and are either other versions of the songs of the officlal release, or different songs/instrumentals never released before :)