Tom Waits changes your life

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Charlie the choo choo

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:27 am

Tom Waits is like Bob Dylans evil twin. In other words, awsome.
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

Vear

Uh.... hell yes?!

Post by Vear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:45 pm

oh man it makes me giddy that I've found an art community like this! I got introduced to Tom Waits back in Highschool through a friend, she gave me Rain Dogs, and for as long as we were friends it was like our little secret. No one knew who Tom Waits was but us! for some reason as much as I loved him, Rain Dogs was enough for me for a couple years. Then one day I discovered the rest of his work. I got my hands on his discography and for the next two months my iPod knew nothing but Tom Waits. So diverse. So many great albums! Waits is a master storyteller, and possesses an absolutely unique voice. I strongly suggest Nighthawks at the Diner, Closing Time, and the Early Years albums... and of course Rain Dogs is a classic!

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:15 am

Wow, this is an old thread! Ahh...I was just a young lad, first discovering YouTube...

Yeah, so, update: I'm still obsessed with Tom Waits. Er, I mean, he's still my favorite musician 8)

Couldn't afford to see him on his Glitter & Doom tour (which kills me, but I'll live vicariously throught bootlegs), but I did see him on his Orphans tour in '06. The concert was amazing. In fact, here's a little write-up about it on my blog. If you browse through the rest of my blog, you're sure to find some more TW love from time to time.

What else? Orphans is an amazing box set. Since much of the material is rerecorded, it all fits together so well, that it's like 3 incredible albums were realeased together, rather than just a collection of b-sides and rarities.

Has anyone heard the Scarlett Johansson cover album? It's alright. I have to admit that it's more interesting than I expected, with a couple honest-to-goodness good songs. But it's mostly pretty flat. I guess you just can't beat the real thing, right? :P
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Vear

Post by Vear » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:26 am

Aw man, I'm quite envious that you got to see him live. and yes Orphans is an amazing set. I'm hoping that one day if and when he does tour again, he'll either come closer to the west coast, or I'll be rich enough to fly to a concert location on a whim.

DarkWriter31

Wait...

Post by DarkWriter31 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:22 pm

I first found about a about Tom Waites through Robin Williams. In his 1986, Live at the Met show he said, "Tom Waits once said, 'You know, maybe there's no devil. It's just God when he drinks.' Well if God drinks you think he might get stoned! Look at a platapus, I think so."

A friend of mine introduced me to Tom Wait's music at work. He'ld play a different CD every night starting with a 1978 CD that had the song "The Piano's Been Drinkin' (Not Me)" and I was hooked! Favorite CD's are Alice and Blood Money.

Is it just me, or can anybody else here Ralph the Dog from the muppets doin' a duet with him or doing a cover album?

Adam
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://onethirsty.blogspot.com (My writings and ramblings.)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Oh, hey -- there's a really good recording of his Atlanta show from the Glitter & Doom Tour online at NPR's All Songs Considered.
Visit the Tragic Planet!

DarkWriter31

Dude

Post by DarkWriter31 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:07 am

[quote="Charlie the choo choo"]Tom Waits is like Bob Dylans evil twin. In other words, awsome.[/quote]

Perfect man, perfect!

Adam
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://onethirsty.blogspot.com (My writings and ramblings.)