The Postal Service - Give Up

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Kazu
Site Admin

The Postal Service - Give Up

Post by Kazu » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:25 am

After the kids (Cat, Chris, and Khang) hammered these catchy melodies in my head with their incessant playing of the CD, coupled with the fact that I seem to hear the song "Such Great Heights" pretty much everywhere I go now (either on the radio or stuck in my head) I bolted down and bought the CD. (I like purchasing my music, since I like "collecting" the artwork and original CDs) This is what is on constant rotation on my CD player while I draw these days. Good stuff. (more parentheses, anyone?)

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:40 am

Single-handedly the best album from 2003, in my opinon. I can listen to this album no matter what mood I'm in. The happy happy music mixed with the odd, melancholic lyrics works like a charm every time. It might be also be worth your time to track down their cover of Phil Collins' Against All Odds. It's an interesting interpretation.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to check out DNTEL's last album (Jimmy Tamborello is one half of The Postal Service), Life Is Full of Possibilities, also notable for the fact that it has the first collaboration of Jimmy Tamborello & Ben Gibbard (the other half of The Postal Service, who's probably better known as the frontman for Death Cab For Cutie).

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:45 am

Yeah, I also just picked up Death Cab's Transatlanticism CD. I really like the change of pace between that album and the Postal Service one. I'll have to give Transatlanticism a few more listening sessions before I comment on that one, though.

I also really like the upbeat feel of Give Up. It reminds me of the more inspiring Coldplay and Frou Frou stuff that I listen to while I draw...

We need to get Ben in here to start posting his recommendations. That guy seems to be an expert on this so-called Sissy Rock genre that I am so fond of...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:50 am

Transatlantichismbananaramalamadingdong is probably their best effort to date. Title and Registration, Tiny Vessels, and We Looked Like Giants really stood out from the rest of the lot, though.

I've actually been listening a lot to Death Cab's We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes lately. I was going to adapt one of their songs to comic form, but I decided against that (I sort of explain why on my website).

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:53 am

I've always thought that being outside of the popular mainstream culture gave you a unique perspective on things. Made you 'edgy' and stuff like that. Here I was listening to 'The Postal Service' for months on and thinking I was the only one. They play this stuff on the radio? They never play anything good on there. That's why I don't listen to the radio. They never played death cab for cutie on the radio. The Postal Service I like a lot more, but still, it excludes any references to pimping, clubbing or being a gangsta, so why is it on the radio? To be fair though, I think I've heard The Avalanches at a movie theater once.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:52 am

Great album. It's been the only CD that I have been playing in my car every single day since I got it.

I first heard about them on LIVE 105 when the DJ was saying this is the best album of the year and to prove it he'll play any track from the CD at random. I heard it and was impressed. That was good enough for me.

Their music reminds me a lot of New Order and Pet Shop Boys, but different. Got to love the Gameboy-like synthesized melodies. :D\

BTW, a coworker told me if you like Postal Service then you might like these other two groups, GOLDFRAPP and ROYKSOPP. Have any of you heard anything about these two groups?

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:40 am

Royskopp has that similar 80s synth/electroclash sound. I love 'em, but not as much as The Postal Service. Royskopp's remixes are also pretty good, and their mixes of The Street's "Weak Become Heroes" and Coldplay's "Clocks" are outstanding.

I've only heard some select tracks from Goldfrapp's first album, but I heard they had a new album out last year that I never got round to listening to. I should probably check it out some time. Their cover of "Physical" was pretty damn cool.

aquateen000

Post by aquateen000 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:16 am

yes, a good album i lsten to it when im tired and lazy. overall a great album.
"I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird."

neil

Post by neil » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:00 pm

They play this stuff on the radio?
Are you kidding! This is old news to us indie snobs. 8) There's even a video for "Such Great Heights" in rotation on MTV, which I think was really nicely done. The microchip factory is unbelievably cool! Here's a clip of it:

http://www.mtv.com/music/video/premiere/postal_service/

Um there's also a video for "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight," but it's a lot sillier... Where did I put that link...
BTW, a coworker told me if you like Postal Service then you might like these other two groups, GOLDFRAPP and ROYKSOPP. Have any of you heard anything about these two groups?
Oh... I'm not so sure about that. Kean's right though, Royksopp's remixes are super cool, especially for their label-mates Kings of Convenience.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:08 pm

I like the silly.

Not entirely unrelated to this thread is also Death Cab's new video for "The Sound of Settling." It's also pretty silly -- it has grown men dressed up as gingerbread men and astronauts and stuff. How could you not like that?

neil

Post by neil » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:21 pm

How could you not like that?
I do! And I can hardly wait for that Flaming Lips movie... Do you have any more cool videos Kean?

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:59 pm

Yup, I have this cd too and I gotta say that at first it was kinda weird (like listening to the soundtrack of Nintendo's Balloon Fight) but it really grew on me. What a great album, I thought!

jose

Post by jose » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:37 pm

SonOfaRich wrote:....like Postal Service then you might like these other two groups, GOLDFRAPP and ROYKSOPP. Have any of you heard anything about these two groups?
Goldfrapp is pretty good, but nothing really like Postal Service. Their Black Cherry CD is filled with pretty electro-clash tunes with a girl singer. Their other CD, Felt Mountain I think its called, sounds like something off of classic James Bond films.

For a few months I was totally in love with The Postal Service. I recommend Erlend Oye to anyone who likes The Postal Service. There's also Stars, a band that sounds like cheesy Postal Service mixed with cheesy The Aluminum Group, and Colder, a guy who sounds like 'dreams of evan...' mixed with dub and Air.

One of my favorite hobbies is to classify what bands sounds like based on other bands... :oops:

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:37 pm

Thanks for the tip on Erlend Oye -- I'll definitely have to give them a listen.

As for the others, the best description for Colder is: Joy Division knockoff. Now, I used to think this was a great thing, but the more I listened to his stuff, the more I realize that it's a detriment. Or maybe it's just a sign that I love JD far too much. His videos are a treat to watch, though. Colder certainly doesn't come close to the happyity bouncy style of The Postal Service.

...and I hate to say it, but I find Stars to be really bland.

Derek

Post by Derek » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:48 pm

This was hardly the best album of 2003. That would be Burn, Piano Island, Burn by The Blood Brothers.

But I do like The Postal Service.