Guilty Pleasure

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:47 pm

Ant! wrote:Justin Timberlake's "Justified"
I will admit to liking this one too! And Huey Lewis! I haven't heard any of his stuff in aaaaaages.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:40 pm

Lisa Loeb, Huey Lewis, Phil Collins, Justin Timberlake...almost every other band or singer mentioned here, I have cds from them all...I cant think of any guilty pleasures I have, cause I dont think of them as guilty I guess... some of the fun stuff I have been listening to lately is Fantasy Metal, bands like Blind Guardian ("Mirror Mirror" is great, they also do tons of LOTR stuff) or Manowar ("The Gods Made Heavy Metal"..love it), its completely silly to me, yet hard core at the same time...

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:16 pm

I might be the only person I know who likes Rush. They are the bestest!

And I also enjoy the eighties greatness of Doug and the Slugs. 'Too bad', 'Making it Work' and 'It's Got to be Monday' are great tracks to sing along to.

davidhopkins

Post by davidhopkins » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:40 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like many, many people have had a "Huey Lewis phase"? 8) He was so cool. 8)
:: antihero ::

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:10 pm

I think the great movie Back To The Future is very much responsible for widespread Huey Lewis phases. 'The Power Of Love' is just an unashamedly poptastic 80s song that will get itself stuck in your head - but also, in the film, it plays as Marty skateboards to school (late), hitching rides by holding onto traffic, which is a cool sequence. So I'm sure many have a soft spot for the song because of that association, although they might be embrassed to admit it now.

Geek trivia: Huey Lewis And The News also had a song that was actually about the film, 'Back In Time' (it plays over the credits), and the teacher who cuts off Marty's band (The Pinheads) saying "You're just too damn loud" is Huey himself.

My first post, by the way. Hello everyone! I'm Simon from England.

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:59 am

Kean wrote:Raina, have you heard this? It's Nina Gordon (formerly of Veruca Salt) and Kid Lightning covering Phil Collins' "One More Night"
i have NOW! woo, thanks, that was fun. :D
Phil Collins is good and all (I love "In The Air Tonight"), but he ain't got nothing on Peter Gabriel -era Genesis.
agreed. but i didn't figure out that difference till later in life, and i still lump it all together (yeah, i know, shame on me).

JonS

Post by JonS » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:52 pm

there's alot of people who's guilty pleasure is like New Order or OMD or something...

mine? Erasure. yeah.

pablowapsi

Post by pablowapsi » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:20 pm

Madonna's Crazy for You is one of those creezy 80s songs that I just love. As for entire guilty pleasure albums; Pretty in Pink Soundtrack, Shakira's Pies Descalzos, and the Best of Split Enz History Never Repeats, just to name a few.
Yeah, I'll all about the cheese. :D

iliekdrawerings

Post by iliekdrawerings » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:06 pm

I always feel guilty listening to music because it means I'm not playing it : (

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:00 am

Kean wrote:Honestly? Britney Spears' "Toxic" is still one damn catchy and well-constructed pop song.

I hate to agree.But every time I hear that song I like it more and more.
Damn you good producers!

Like for a while the Neptunes could trick me into thinking I liked artist I swore I hated because of their contributions. That Timbaland guy too...

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:18 am

davidhopkins wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like many, many people have had a "Huey Lewis phase"? 8) He was so cool. 8)
What do you mean phase? I never left!

*air guitar*STEP BY STEP, ONE BYYY ONE, HIGHER AND HIGHER!

agremar

Post by agremar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:49 pm

Kean wrote:I still don't understand why my friends shake their heads at me when I try to explain to them how awesome the Pet Shop Boys really are.
Kean, you've re-affirmed your hero status to me.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:24 am

Ha! You guys are naming all of my favorite stuff!
This is so much more satisfying than talking to people who don't know a single band I name.

Um, did I mention Night Ranger rocks?

Except for "Sister Christian"... I never liked that one. I mean seriously, Motorin', what does that even mean?

Also, Mothos, don't worry, you're not alone. Rush is way up there for me. Waaaay up there. Rock on Geddy! Rock on.