Bob Dylan

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
WillisDrummond

Bob Dylan

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:01 am

The Pennebaker documentary Don't Look Back rocked my socks. I'm finally starting to appreciate Bob Dylan, but I want to know where to start. My knowledge is somewhat limited, but from what I know, here's how I gather how his albums break down:
Pre-1967: acoustic folky stuff
Post-1967, beginning with Bringing it All Back Home: folk and blues informed rock
early 1980's: Dylan's "saved" period. I hear "Slow Train Comin'" is the best of the lot.

anyone have any opinion on the original recordings versus the recent remasters?

don't know much of the later stuff.
All help is appreciated.
The first person to quote Jack Black in High Fidelity ("You don't own blonde on blonde? It's gonna be OK."), gets a pie in the face. :wink:

perhaps I could save up and buy the box set.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Jeff Wilson

Post by Jeff Wilson » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:24 pm

I've been a Bob Dylan fan for about 10 years now. I didn't go through a huge phase where I bought everything at once though. So, I only own 6 or 7 albums of his at this time. I recently picked up Blonde on Blonde and I highly reccommend it. My personal favorite is Blood on the Tracks. That album is genius. Believe it or not is most recent albums have been really good too. Time out of mind was produced by Daniel Lanois who also did a lot of Peter Gabriel and U2 stuff. That's a good one. Hope that helps (probably not).

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:55 am

Man, I posted this a while ago and didn't hear anything! Thanks for the response. I currently own Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and John Wesley Harding.

Blonde on Blonde is next on my list, especially since I'm such a fan of High Fidelity. I look forward to hearing Blood on the Tracks.

My current favorite song is Tombstone Blues on Highway 61.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:20 pm

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:50 pm

Have you seen No Direction Home: Bob Dylan? If not, it's a MUST see for every Bob Dylan fan.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:29 pm

<-Not a Dylan fan

however, theres an English class being offered at my college about Bob Dylan this summer. And yes its for credit.