U2

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Coheteboy

U2

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Anybody get the new album How to Dismantle an Atomic Band yet? I bought the cd/dvd version yesterday but I had it on my computer for a few weeks now. It's always so refreshing to hear a cd that isn't an exact duplicate of the album prior. And it's especially satisfying when the new album completely beats out the previous one at the same time!

My favorite songs are:
-Vertigo
-Miracle Drug
-Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (written for his father)
-City of Blidning Lights
-Original of the Species

Of course the entire album is amazing but those are the standouts. U2 is still my favorite band of all time.
Last edited by Coheteboy on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Dave.

WillRyan

Post by WillRyan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:27 pm

You know what, I think I was spoiled by the hype Bono has been sending out over the last six months. He said that this would be the first true Edge album from the band. Then he said it was going to be an angry politcal album. What it ended up being was the most straightforward rock album the band has made in years, for good or bad.

When I first heard the album, I was kinda disappointed. U2 is one of the few bands that can afford to not play it safe, and on the last two albums I feel like that's what they've done. At first listen, Atomic Bomb is U2 by numbers: big soaring epic songs, coupled with Bono's sometimes inspiring, sometimes clunky songwriting. Edge's shiny guitar sounds are back, as well as some really inspired bass playing. The first six songs are amazing to listen to straight through. It's not to say that it's a bad cd, it's definitely not. I just want to hear them push their sound, like they did with Achtung Baby and Zooropa.

But after repeated listening, it's really grown on me. It's a really front heavy cd, with the last few songs being so slow and cumbersome.

I think All Because Of You is my current favorite: all I can think of is how good that guitar will sound live!
-willryan

risch

Post by risch » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:07 am

I much rather my music sans-politics. :|

Will be picking up U2's cd soon...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:36 am

Video and MP3s from U2's SNL performance last weekend.

Photos and a report from U2's Brooklyn show. Some gorgeous shots of Bono and the band with the Brooklyn Bridge in the background.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Will, I was talking to a friend about this the other day, and all of U2's albums are entirely front-heavy. Without fail, every single one of 'em peters out at the end (with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby just barely managing to avoid this trap). I find it really affects my listening experience when I just can't give a toss about whatever the heck it is they're singing about when they hit the 30 minute mark of an album.

I would argue that U2 doesn't need to push their sound any further. And why should they? They've certainly done their share of experimentation, and there's absolutely nothing left for them to prove. If they love doing straight-out stadium rock, then why can't they be given the opportunity to do so? They still do it miles better than the next band.

WillRyan

Post by WillRyan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:57 pm

I almost whole-heartedly agree with you Kean. It's an amazing feat that U2, and maybe Bruce Springsteen, are the only two vital acts that were popular in the 80's still making relevant music today. Surely they pushed the envelope during the Achtung/Zooropa era, and their Passengers soundtrack is hardly even noticed by casual fans. But I really liked what they did with Pop, and I will forever be surprised by the bashing that cd took. It was adventurous, dark, and had lots of amazing sounds, as well as some cool songwriting. I think the death of that album scared the boldness right outta the band.

I'm glad they've gone simpler, and more straight-ahead. With Bono's voice at its peak of strenghth, and the dearth of unfiltered rock n roll on the radio, it's somehow still different. At least in the context of what else is out there.

I just hope they have one more curve up their sleeves.
-willryan

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:15 pm

Well said, Kean. I liked the direction was going with Zooropa and Pop, but I'm not terribly upset that they fell back to the sound that they were comfortable with. Although I felt the lyrics for All That You Can't Leave Behind were a tad weak, I think they went forward with Atomic Bomb.

It is kinda true that all the albums are front-heavy, but I feel that's only true to casual listeners. The long time fans will find the gems throughout. With Atomic Bomb, I love the album the entire way through. It's definitely front heavy on ATYCLB though. The songs near the end feel like they're not finished.
Last edited by Coheteboy on Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Dave.

agremar

Post by agremar » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:28 pm

I'll probably be picking it up soon, as I haven't heard anyone say it's a disappointment. For the record though, I think Achtung Baby is their best album...it has more subtleties than their others.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:59 pm

agremar wrote:I'll probably be picking it up soon, as I haven't heard anyone say it's a disappointment. For the record though, I think Achtung Baby is their best album...it has more subtleties than their others.
I read an article about the band during the making of that album and they were on the verge of falling apart. They were working on the album for months and all they had was one song. The Edge was having marital problems, Adam was going through the same along with alcoholism, and it was just a tough time. Interesting enough, the ballad ONE came together in one afternoon. The rest is history.

I agree, it is definitely the strongest album.
My name is Dave.