show us your mix!

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
neil

show us your mix!

Post by neil » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:27 pm

Making mix tapes/cd's is so fun and rewarding; I was wondering if anyone would like to share their track lists and artwork.

I'm working on TWO right now, just off and on. Maybe someone can help me out with this one, it's kind of silly:

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:44 pm

But, but... that would ruin the surprise for some people! :wink:

And I'm sure everyone around here knows the different types and rules of constructing a good mix CD, right?

[edit]: Also, can anyone recommend any PC software that's good for ripping/burning tracks? I'm using a pretty subpar program at the moment.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:08 am

Neil- I have never heard of half the bands you've got listed there. Looks like I have homework to do.

Kean- You mean something other than iTunes!? You can't go wrong with iTunes. Versatility, speed, ease of use and the sheer beauty of the interface design! Plus, the Canadian version of the Music Store is expected to go live by months end!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:24 am

Kean: I know, I meant I was wondering if people wanted to share mixes they've already made and given away, or ones that they're not going to give to anyone on here. That's an interesting link; I was following most of the rules anyway, but some of them are crap, and though good transitions are like icing on the cake, people seem to get too caught up with them.

Mothos: The whole point is to introduce you to new music! :D

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:35 am

Mothos, I'm still running a Win98 box, which means I can't run iTunes. Besides, unless iTunes supports things like crossfades and the like, then it's probably something I'll pass on anyway (I agree that transitions are important, only if things don't work, I'll mess with things so that they do :wink: ).

I don't necessarily think that a good mix CD has to be just about discovering new music -- sometimes it's about putting a particular song into a context that makes you look at it in a different light.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:37 am

Oh, and for your mix, Neil: why not give Luna's cover of Fred Neil's "Everybody's Talkin'" a shot? I imagine that's the song that goes through Dubya's head all day long.

Also, Joseph Arthur & Gomez's studio version of "I Donated Myself To The Mexican Army" is a must.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:01 pm

Maybe for your mix, you might also want to think about adding in David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" (or Nirvana's amazing Unplugged version), and U2's "Stateless" (from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack)? I can upload all these tracks to my music server, if you'd like.

Look what you've done to me Neil! Now I can't stop thinking about this mix!! Aaah!!!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Wolf Parade's "Killing Armies" and Radiohead's "A Punchup at a Wedding," or "Wolf at the Door" if you don't want to stretch your metaphors too much.

We should just make a competing mix CDs, and have them duke it out!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:22 pm

Kean wrote:Look what you've done to me Neil! Now I can't stop thinking about this mix!! Aaah!!!
Haha, it's payback for that top ten list thread. Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

I believe iTunes can do cross-fading and all that jazz.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:59 pm

You can grab "Everybody's Talkin'," "Stateless," "Killing Armies," and "I Donated Myself To The Mexican Army" from my music server. Lemme know if you need the login info and all that stuff again.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:47 pm

Made this cd for a friend about a month ago. it was part of a massive 'Inspiration Pack' I made for him that involved him listening to the cd, reading some articles and opening a present and then gathering clues held within all those things to find a hidden bounty.

although I made the mix for him, it's on constant rotation on my ipod. It's by far the mix I'm most proud of.

Here is da cd cover!!!

It's gonna be a tough act to follow
ImageImage

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:28 pm

Kean you OS dinosaur you! I didn't think their were many of you left. :D You've reminded me how much of a pathetic consumer technophile I am. Sigh, new shiney things and brand new features are my drugs.
If you can upgrade to Win 2000, crossfade can be at your command!

Neil - I'm grooving to Yo La Tengo as I write this, the lead's voice is great.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:16 pm

Oh, and Neil, one more song for ya: Ted Leo + The Pharmacists' "Shake The Sheets." (can you guess what I'm listening to again?)

I would also suggest pretty much anything from Green Day's American Idiot, but notably "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming." I dunno if your sense of good taste would let you put that on your mix, though (no seriously, Green Day is great, if you just imagine they did absolutely nothing between Dookie and this new one). :wink:

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:18 pm

I'm working on two mixes right now, one of somber, rainy day music and one of heavy beats, both hiphop and techno. Any suggestions or order changes would be cool.

Phat Beats:
Jungle Boogie- Kool and the Gang
Supermoves- Overseer
The Message- Grandmaster Flash
Kid Kenner - Galactic
Gangster Tripping- Fatboy Slim
Perpetual Dawn (remix)- The Orb
Breathe In, Breathe Out- Kanye West f. Ludacris
Woozy- Faithless (off Beach Sdtk)

Raindrops:
High on Sunday 51- Aimee Mann
Pale Blue Eyes - Velvet Underground
Figure 8- Elliot Smith (off Son of Sam single)
Bang Bang- Nancy Sinatra
Dont Leave - Faithless
Let's Stay Together - Al Green
Spooky- Dusty Springfield
About Her- Malcom Mclaren
Lonesome Town- Ricky Nelson
Talk Show Host- Radiohead
Porchlight- Neko Case
Love will tear us apart- Joy Division
Tom Traubert's Blues- Tom Waits (may replace with "Innocent when you dream")
Memory Gospel- Moby
Complainte de la Butte- Rufus Wainwright (Moulin Rouge sdtk)
All is Full of Love (video mix)- Bjork
"I love you like a fat kid loves cake."
-50 Cent

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:05 am

I just did four mix CDs tonight before I came across this thread.

I mostly make mixCDs to get songs off my computer and into my stereo, so aesthetics didn't matter as much to me. For that reason, I also routinely throw three, four or five songs from an artist onto any given mix I make. I do this when I'm on a particular "kick," or if I'm making a mix for a friend who I want to introduce to an artist that they're not familiar with.

You can make a "best of" mix for that purpose as well, but I like my method. I don't know how to describe it...its like little nested pockets of a certain artist hidden inside a very diverse terrain. I also only do this with artists who have a good amount of range to them. Other wise, I'd just use the one song.

I've never done the original cover art thing. I'll try it out, see how it goes.
I can't fly.