Top 10 albums of 2004

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:07 pm

If bands like Girls Aloud or Freeform Five got any radio play over here, I'll bet you the kids would eat it right up. It's just good pop. Also, are the Tiesto and Sasha albums really that good? I haven't heard either of them after their mediocre outings with their previous 'artist' albums...

The more I listen to it, the more I'm starting to think that Dogs Die in Hot Cars' Please Describe Yourself is top ten material.

(you can also listen to a live set of theirs over on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic)

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:24 am

Oh, I'm sure Girls Aloud will will get eaten up quickly and easily! Their music is quite "pop" (good, too) enough to work.

I'm not one for cheesey trance/electronic music. I actually was surprised by Tiesto's "Just Be" release. His "Parade of Atheletes" is OK (nothing I would pick up since it's practically the same tracks from his previous work, but another beat added! Sasha's "Involver" (it's much more of a mix set than an original "artist" release) is actually quite good including tracks by Grand National (you should check them out), UNKLE, DJ Shadow, and, surprisingly, Felix da Housecat. Most of the tracks are specially remixed for the set by Sasha.

Sasha's "Airdrawndagger" didn't catch me so well. I think a few tracks did, but the overall release didn't. Maybe I didn't give it a good listen or it simply wasn't working for me.

As for Dogs Die in Hot Cars, I couldn't get a listen to any of their studio work. I can only get an "idea" by what they sound like under their biography. But, thanks for the plug-in. I'll check them out on the radio's live set.

Have you heard of the Kasabian? Or The Zutons? I'm just throwing out some bands that are in my head right now. They do not relate under the same sound though! One's guerilla-like while the other's quite "lighthearted". Haha.
Kean wrote:If bands like Girls Aloud or Freeform Five got any radio play over here, I'll bet you the kids would eat it right up. It's just good pop. Also, are the Tiesto and Sasha albums really that good? I haven't heard either of them after their mediocre outings with their previous 'artist' albums...

The more I listen to it, the more I'm starting to think that Dogs Die in Hot Cars' Please Describe Yourself is top ten material.

(you can also listen to a live set of theirs over on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic)

Cuts, baby. Cuts. Music, Design, and Culture

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:48 pm

I've always thought that Tiesto's mixes and track selection are certainly top notch, even when he's pushing and experimenting with things (a la Nyana). His original work, however... it leaves much to be desired.

Sasha's Airdrawndagger kind of got too progressive in some places. For a trance album to work, you still need those peaks and valleys to build up to -- I saw it more as fodder for DJs to pick tracks here and there for their sets, rather than just a "regular" album by an individual artist. Although I should probably add that his "Xpander" is still one of my all-time favourite tracks of his.

I've heard some things from Grand National's album, but I wasn't too impressed. Seemed a little too derivative for my tastes -- although I initially said that about Interpol's first album, and I've since warmed up to them. Maybe I should give 'em another listen.

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:38 pm

I definitely agree with you on Tiesto. When I started listening to Tiesto's earlier studio work I wasn't that impressed, but there are some good tracks to pick out of the mediocre work. His selection on his sets is definitely great, but mixing live wise? It's a hit-or-miss.

Paul van Dyk - now he's great live when it comes to mixing live on the decks, but his studio work, to me, tends to fall flat most of the time. Some PvD fans recommend that "Out There And Back" was his best. When I gave it a quick listen, it didn't catch me as quick as BT. I was at a music store at that time and I had to choose between the two. BT won! Haha.

Though BT isn't a "DJ", as some would say. He's just an all-rounded guy in the electronica world.

Grand National - I manage to take another listen at a different track, other than "Talk Amongst Yourself" (which I really like). Yeah, it brought my expectations down. :( Maybe the other tracks would be better? Eh? I'd like to see it come out as a domestic release, still.

Sasha's "Airdrawndagger" is VERY progressive. Geez. I think "Bloodlock" was the best standout track. To me, I find Sasha to be the "Radiohead" of trance/house music.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:50 pm

Not a big fan of PvD at all, but I haven't heard him spin live, so I guess that's another matter. I own a copy of BT's Rare and Remixed, for exactly the reason that you mentioned -- he's a fantastic producer, but his own songs leave much to be desired. Some of the remixes of his songs are vastly superior to the original. And his collaboration with Tori Amos is absolutely inspired.

As far as progressive house goes, my picks go with Noel Sanger, Max Graham (although I haven't seen him spin or heard any of his new mixes in a while), and Sander Kleinenberg (I probably misspelled his name).

And I can't say this enough, but EVERYONE must listen to Hybrid at least once. As always, I highly recommend their "Finished Symphony" as an excellent starting point. I suppose if that song doesn't change your opinions on prog house or nu skool breaks, then nothing ever will (the 80-piece Russian orchestra was what really did it for me).

Also, to steer this thread back on track, here's an MP3 of the studio version of Dogs Die in Hot Cars' "I Love You Cause I Have To."

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:01 pm

Oh, and one more thing: all of what I just said in that last post about house/trance/electronica in general means absolutely nothing on the dance floor. Just lay down some big fat chunky beats, and I'll be out there with everyone else.

I'm kind of slutty that way.

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:58 pm

Hybrid's "Morning Sci-Fi" is another great release! It also features some bass hooks by Peter Hook (haha).

BT's tracks are good originally, but better remixed (depending). At the time of debating between BT or PvD's release, it was BT's "Movement in Still Life" that I had purchased. I think that's still my personal favorite. "Emotional Technology" doesn't seem to have a single theme, but it shows BT's experimenting in production and style.

BT vs. PvD on "Flaming June" is a highlight out of "ESCM" (aside from "Remember"). Heard that one?

Yes, Sander Kleinfalkgjlakjg (not going to attempt to spell his last name) is another great one. How about James Holden?

Haha, I think I would agree. If I were at a club, which I had many chances offered, but never taken them, I would too get on the dance floor... well, maybe not. I'm just picky so the music has to be good in order for me to join in on the movement. ;)

Thanks for the Dogs Die in Hot Cars track!

Back to Grand National - I heard they did some rexmies for the Stills? I have yet to unearth that!

Oh, have you heard of the Delays? They're an oldie to me, but I noticed some recognition on them recently. You should check them out too ;)

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:08 pm

I must also comment on the Dogs Die in Hot Cars' "I Love You Cause I Have To" is such a catchy tune!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:42 am

I decided my list needed a little revisin'.

1. The Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Wolf Parade - untitled EP
3. Stars - Set Yourself On Fire
4. Brian Wilson - Smile
5. Madvillain - Madvillainy
6. Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
7. Pinback - Summer in Abaddon
8. dios malos - self-titled
9. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
10. Feist - Let It Die

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:22 pm

Any Tom Waits fans on this forum??

Well...lets see if I've got Ten. Here they are in no particular order:

Tom Waits - Real Gone
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
The Decemberists - The Tain
The Futureheads - The Futureheads
Bjork - Medula
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
Elliot Smith - From A Basment On The Hill

Hm...didn't quite make it. Well, I've been meaning to check out the Unicorns which I briefly heard at a friends house, they sounded keen. Also, I really want to hear this Daniel Johnston tribute album that's got Tom Waits, Beck, Eels, the Flaming Lips, and some other cool people on it. Normally I'm not too excited about tribute albums, but it also comes with a second disc of all his originals, and I've been curious about Johnston for a while now...

A dissapointment for me this year was the new Blues Explosion CD. Man those guys are hit and miss, and after Plastic Fang was so good! Damn!

Well, that's ten albums in all...does that count?
Visit the Tragic Planet!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:02 am

Joey wrote:Any Tom Waits fans on this forum??
I love Tom Waits! I was just listening to The Heart of Saturday Night in the library. (I've yet to hear all of Real Gone though.) It was really awesome, because I was studying comparatist philosophy and about how there is no identity in language and everything is really defined by difference, and how all cognition is really comparison, and I was listening to these lyrics from "San Diego Serenade":

I never saw the morning ’til I stayed up all night
I never saw the sunshine ’til you turned out the light
I never saw my hometown until I stayed away too long
I never heard the melody, until I needed a song.

I never saw the white line, ’til I was leaving you behind
I never knew I needed you ’til I was caught up in a bind
I never spoke ’i love you’ ’til I cursed you in vain,
I never felt my heartstrings until I nearly went insane.

I never saw the east coast ’til I move to the west
I never saw the moonlight until it shone off your breast
I never saw your heart ’til someone tried to steal,
Tried to steal it away
I never saw your tears until they rolled down your face.

I should quote Tom Waits on the final!

That Futureheads album is nice, it's a real rump-shaker. Good list...

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:40 am

Ooh, The Heart of Saturday Night is a beautiful album! Of his early work (you know, pre-Swordfishtrombones) I definitely prefer it and Closing Time, two great ones! You should definitely check out Real Gone if you get the chance. Just uh...remember to give it a chance. It's a little rough to listen to at first, but after a few listens the random layers of sounds and noise he's making really comes together, and it's pretty amazing. Or at least thats how it worked for me, I remember first listening to it and being like "Holy Moses! I don't know how much I can listen to this!" But now I love it dearly.
Visit the Tragic Planet!