Royal City

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Kean
Site Admin

Royal City

Post by Kean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:34 am

I'm really looking forward to Royal City's next release, Little Heart's Ease, which is out next Tuesday. So much so that I'm listening a lot to their last one, Alone At The Microphone. While probably lumped in with the rest of the indie rock crowd, I'd probably say these local boys veer towards more country-esque territory with their acoustic guitars and banjos. Some gorgeous & spacious arrangements tie everything together in a nice little package. Well worth checking out, especially for those Palace/Smog/Sufjan Stevens (??? -- a little bit of a stretch, I know) fans.

But don't take my word for it. Listen for yourself and decide:

- The opening track to Little Heart's Ease (from Three Gut's website)
- Four songs from Alone At The Microphone. Definitely worth checking out are Bad Luck and Spacey Basement (via Epitonic).

Matthew Forsythe

Post by Matthew Forsythe » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:34 am

kean - you've obviously got great taste.

royal city are fantastic. but i think their debut album was the strongest by far. little heart's ease is a huge disappointment for this fan. it's just plain lazy. the lyrics are lazy. the music is lazy. there's no growth or exploration whatever. and the songs are boring as a result. it's a dangerous genre their playing in.

to fill the small vacuum they've left in my depresso-folk collection, i've been listening to songs: ohia and iron & wine.

honolulu, katmandu, your naked body...
m.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:03 am

I agree -- Little Heart's Ease certainly isn't as good as their earlier stuff, but I think the first half of the album certainly isn't as boring as you say the entire album is. :)