Synthpop and EBM (electro body music)

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Vince

Synthpop and EBM (electro body music)

Post by Vince » Mon May 24, 2004 1:34 am

Synthpop is kind of like 80s music on steroids, i.e. using modern electronic music production. For anyone who likes the music of the 80s, especially bands like the Go-Gos and New Order, I'd recommend the groups Spray and Echo Image.

EBM is the love-child of Industrial and Trance. You could consider it either a more dancy, melodic industrial, or a darker, harsher sort of trance. A lot of it comes from Europe.

I'm not sure many people here have heard of this stuff (maybe some Europeans?). I mean that in a very non-elitist way... unlike a lot of fans of this sort of music, I really wish more of this music made it into the mainstream. Oh, well...

newstreamer

Re: Synthpop and EBM (electro body music)

Post by newstreamer » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:14 am

I too listen to European Trance. I think, too, it's rare that you would come across someone that is familiar with that genre.

Sadly, in the States, electronic dance music is not represented as much as it is in Europe - especially trance. At some point it was huge (if you lived in a city), but that's only when a particular hit track has gotten major airplay: example Darude's "Sandstorm" and the ever-so popular Derilium's "Silence" (featuring Sarah McLachlan) with remixes by Tiesto and Airscape. Remember that?

I can go on and on, but I won't. :) I'm just another music junkie (and a New Order listener).

I'll just liste some DJ/Artists down incase anyone comes across one of these and also start up another reply:

DJ Tiesto
Paul van Dyk
BT - this guy's a genuis. Haha!
Ferry Corsten - give or take
Gabriel & Dresden - mainly known for remixes (also give or take)

Cuts, baby. Cuts. Music, Design, and Culture

ravi66

Re: Synthpop and EBM (electro body music)

Post by ravi66 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:30 am

newstreamer wrote:I too listen to European Trance. I think, too, it's rare that you would come across someone that is familiar with that genre.

Sadly, in the States, electronic dance music is not represented as much as it is in Europe - especially trance. At some point it was huge (if you lived in a city), but that's only when a particular hit track has gotten major airplay: example Darude's "Sandstorm" and the ever-so popular Derilium's "Silence" (featuring Sarah McLachlan) with remixes by Tiesto and Airscape. Remember that?

I can go on and on, but I won't. :) I'm just another music junkie (and a New Order listener).

I'll just liste some DJ/Artists down incase anyone comes across one of these and also start up another reply:

DJ Tiesto
yeah... if u like Tiesto, u really should check out some of the recent dance hits from Europe....

it's pretty clear that dance music is coming back in the USA ... and around the world... hip-hop and r&b are finally dying out…..

everyone knows that the hottest stuff comes from the euros.....check this compilation series on itunes… it’s the “Euro Club Hits” series… for example….. extremely good stuff – here’s the direct itunes link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSe ... b+Hits+Vol+
Forums