Alison Krauss made me love Country Music

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Tony

Alison Krauss made me love Country Music

Post by Tony » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:37 pm

Personally, I used to tell people "I like all music except Country music", but that was before I heard Alison Krauss. On the other hand, she's generally classified as a "Bluegrass" singer, so I figure I might still be safe.

If hearing her sing doesn't melt your heart, then you are a cold, cold person.

A Hundred Miles or More, a recent compilation of mostly solo tracks. Includes her contributions to the Cold Mountain soundtrack, both of which are soul-destroyingly awesome.
Live with Union Station, a great overview/sampler.
Official Website
Wikipedia entry

I've written this assuming that everyone else here is not really a Country-music listener, but that's probably not true. If anyone can recommend some more good Bluegrass music, I'd love to hear it.

dik pose

Re: Alison Krauss made me love Country Music

Post by dik pose » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:22 am

She is amazing!!!

I am one of the people who say "I listen to everything, even county"

In bluegrass, there is a good album called
The Three Pickers (Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, Ricky Skaggs, these guys are all legends, worth checking out their albums), its a live recording, and Alison Krauss even makes an appearance to play fiddle. Smile

Also good Neo-bluegrass/good music is Nickel Creek they have a HELL of a mandolin player!!! They are taking a hiatus right now to do solo projects, but they have 3-4 albums worth of stuff to check out...

This is the madolin player Chris Thile He has some fun stuff, and its more bluegrassy

Here is their fiddle player Sara Watkins and her brother the guitar player Sean Watkins

flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm also a Allison Krauss fan. My listening tastes vary wildly but when I say I don't listen to country I tend to clarify that as "radio friendly pop country". I prefer the older bluegrass inspired bands.

There are also a lot of Alt-Country bands that I'm huge fans of like the Drive-By Truckers, Pufferfish & The Old 97's.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home ] ‡

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:41 am

Not a country fan myself, but some bands that lean in that direction I enjoy are Cuff the Duke and Elliott Brood.

Also Blood Meridian or anything Ryan Adams has done with The Cardinals is worth checking out.