female knight

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Sanaril

female knight

Post by Sanaril » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 am

I've always liked how image ideas change and evolve. I wanted to design armor for a female knight (a poorly represented profession indeed!).
I drew a detailed sketch for the composition, and then the final image ended up completely different :)

Pencils and inks are mine, colors are by Jimmy Charalampidis :
www.dooomcat.com
www.monkeyseed.deviantart.com

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:25 pm

oooo... that second piece is intense. Nice to see a female warrior who's actualy wearing a full set of armor. Always thought it was a bad idea to be exposed from breast to waist and hip to knee, but that's just me =P

Og

Post by Og » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:35 pm

If you had any doubt, the second image is much more dynamic. Really fun to look at.

Can you take us through your design process? How did you get from the layout in the sketch to the second layout?
ImageImage

frak

Post by frak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:57 pm

Nice.
I have to ask... do you play WOW?
Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:51 pm

Hey there,

you have some big time drawing skills!

My comment on the first sketch is that her pose is really strange--its like her limbs are just sort of spread out in front of me with no real purpose.

In the finished piece, the pose makes much more sense, but when you get down to the legs, it's awkward again. Ask yourself, "is she leaping?" or "is she running?" or "is she posing?" and then draw it to communicate that. If you have a strong idea of what you're trying to communicate with the pose, it is far less likely to look awkward.

keep up the good work

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:43 am

Interesting take, great picture, although from your comments I sort of expected to see a pretty burly female knight, rather than the relatively skinny wisp of a knight you've got there.

Not that that's bad at all.

Capo

Post by Capo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:40 am

I like her, Sanaril, she really stands out as character- I think the poses are very dynamic and justified, too. I too like the fact also that she's more realistically garbed than your average D&D 'iron bikini babe. Although I think I agree with Zidane - I do wish somebody would take a stab at non-teenage, non-buffy-esque adult woman! I'm breaking some ancient code by saying that, am I ? I'm not talking about depicting a character with a face that looks like a bulldog that's been stung by a wasp and then dragged through a hedge backwards - just someone over the age of 25, who has actually graduated from Broadsword University and been in some WARS!

But good work!
That's a big twinkie

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:36 am

she's taking on two dragons at once! She is one bad mutha. Great colors. Really cool.
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:08 pm

That's really awesome and I have to agree with whomever said it's nice to see a fully clad warrior for once.

Just one qualm about the armour really, I know it's supposed to be girly, but it's not nearly bulky enough. The point of metal armour hasn't been so much to avert a blow, except to a point, but more to absorb and cushion it. The way you have it here she might not get cut but she would SURE feal all the forces involved in the blows themselves.

Unless of course the armour is from a dense composite plastic in which case it can and should be close fitting :)

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:01 am

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Josh: lol... I have to agree. Red Sonja's design makes me angry... soooo impractical.

Og: I don't have any sketches I could show you. I usually rough stuff out in red or blue and then ink right over top and erase back the color in PS.

Frak: Don't play WOW (I don't have the time for any gaming addictions :)

Frank: Thanks for the advice :) I didn't think the legs looked awkward but when you create something you tend to be too close to it i guess.

Zidane: Maybe you should start a "burly female knight thread" :)

Capo: lol.. Wouldn't want to get on your bad side... that's quite a description :)

Matthewart: Thank you!

Swizec: "Unless of course the armour is from a dense composite plastic in which case it can and should be close fitting "- it's kevlar! :D

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:06 am

Sanaril wrote: Swizec: "Unless of course the armour is from a dense composite plastic in which case it can and should be close fitting "- it's kevlar! :D
Ah composite kevlar reinforced plastic, got it.

Because we all know kevlar is just fabric and even though tough it doesn't work well without something to wrap around. Just like carbon fiber is awesomely strong and makes the bast car chassis but you can cut it on its own with a regular kitchen knife.

slavidzee

Post by slavidzee » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:29 pm

I like it!
What did you do to achieve that organic looking noise/texture in the shadows of her armor?
You are what you do repeatedly