Random sketchiness

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Seth Wolfshorndl

Re: Random sketchiness

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Thank you! That was what I was going for.

I’m excited to announce that our new collection of sketches, Sketchings #3, is now available! While the first two issues each focused on a single artist’s work, what’s great about this issue is that the emphasis is on collaborations between Matt Meyers, Dusty Roberts, and I. There are several “creature jams” (including the cover) where different artists took turns drawing different parts of one character and then one artist inked the whole thing. There are three jam comics (improvisational stories), including “Goblins Hate Fairies” and “Sushi Bar” which you might have already seen on the Random Ink site. And there are many pieces that feature one artist inking the work of another. In addition, we threw some other fun stuff in there, like the time we drew each other as zombies.

You can preview and order a copy anytime!
Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Easily one of my favorite animated films from the last few years, Kung Fu Panda is full of so much fun energy and great character design. Master Oogway here would have to be my favorite from that film. I really enjoyed how they portrayed him as both frail and strong at the same time. This was a blast to draw.
Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:38 am

Here are some sketches I did for readers at HurleyCon last weekend:

Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:15 am

The god of thunder himself...

Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 pm

A great comic that I picked up a while ago is The Cryptics by Steve Niles and Ben Roman. Basically, it’s about the adventures of Wolfman, Dracula, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Jekyll/Hyde… as kids. It’s a really silly concept that leads to all sorts of awesomeness. Ben Roman’s art is the perfect blend of edgy and cartoony… it really sells the whole thing. I hope they make some more comics with these guys soon!

This image was a blast to draw. I actually finished it quite a while ago, but just now got a chance to color it. If you enjoy it, you should definitely check out the book!
Image Image

BradHeath

Post by BradHeath » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:18 am

Awesome work, Seth! Loving the bubble pipe! Thanks for the link to this forum, I'm going to start checking it out.
"Hi, I'm Death. I'm the wacky nextdoor neighbor!"

Arrow

Post by Arrow » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Very nice! Good use of minimal highlights.

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks, guys!

(Click for a larger view)

Heh heh… this image is based on my all time favorite horrible movie. One of those that’s much more fun to heckle (a la Mystery Science Theater 3000) than to just watch. Back in college, we used to have “Stupid Movie Night” and this one blew us away.

HERE’S THE CONTEST…

If you are the first person to EMAIL US the correct name of this movie, you will win two of our comics and a free sketch of the character of your choice! It’s that simple.

Want to give it a shot? Remember to email, not reply to this thread. Just use the "email" button on this post, or on our site.
Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Re: Random sketchiness... now with a CONTEST

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:27 am

Congrats to our contest winner Jason Lysinger, who correctly guessed that last image was from the epically bad HERCULES IN NEW YORK (AKA Hercules Goes Bananas), starring Arnold Schwartzeneggar in his first movie role.

Lots of random stuff this time...

At our last local Sketch Night, we did some more ink splatter drawings (inspired by the incredible Daily Monster blog by Stefan Bucher). I was really happy with the creatures that sprang out of the ink this time! Fun stuff… I highly recommend it, if you haven’t tried it yet.

Goofy boredom drawing:

A steampunk version of Hobgoblin:

I am definitely not a great caricaturist. In fact, these are more like stylized portraits. But they were definitely fun to draw. The Gaiman was made while watching his talk at Google. This is something I’d like to get better at eventually.

Thanks for looking!
Image Image

Arrow

Post by Arrow » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:21 am

Since I got outa school, I've really missed that group art making deal. Nice looking sketches, I like Neil Gaiman inked!

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 pm

Hey, put the word out and start one in your area! You'll be surprised at how many other people are hankering to do it. We meet once a month, and it's always a blast.

Thanks for the kind words.
Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:08 am

As part of his prize for that last contest, Jason requested the above sketch of Esmerelda. Thanks, Jason… your sketch and free comics are on their way to you!
Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:40 am

Whoa, haven't posted in a while... here's some artwork from the past few months:

These last three are preview images from an upcoming Random Ink story I'm finishing up. Think of it as "The Birds"... but with squirrels.

Thanks for looking.
Image Image