Copper Koi

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
aaron

Copper Koi

Post by aaron » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:11 pm

Copper Koi is a company I worked with this last summer, They never had a logo or anything, I bugged him to do it, finally got a call this semester. This took a long time, I find illustrator to be cool but a pain in the ass.

[INDENT]
Image[/INDENT]

Frank Stockton

hello

Post by Frank Stockton » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:31 pm

it's a sweet logo, I wish I could design stuff like that.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

aaron

Post by aaron » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Hey thanks Frank. But really with bad ass Illustration skillz like yours, why waste time on logos? Come on, I've seen your site.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:57 am

maybe I'm dumb, but how'd you get that line quality in illustrator? I can't even draw a squiggle with my tablet without getting a big curved nothing.

aaron

Post by aaron » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:17 am

You don't even want to know the pain in the ass I went through for this. But here goes...
Me being a drawer, I sketched my koi and waves on paper first.
Next: I scanned it into photoshop. Took the levels and punched it up.
Then saved as a eps. I brought it into Illustrator and did a live trace with manual settings. At this point I thought great I'm done, it looks sharp.. But no. There is a white background. I needed to do pathfinder to separate forground and background. But my main sketch had holes, meaning all the blacks didn't link up. So pathfinder would warp the image. I had to go and I found it had three layers of solid shapes that I had to knock out manually one scale at a time, some scales would take out an entire section, some would just knock out that one scale, anyways, then I did spot pathfinding untill I had three sections where I could knock that background out. I then used the pen tool for color shapes and some black line work, and here is what your most likely reffering to, line quality...........

I take one pen dot, then on the next one a ways from the first you click then hold down the mouse and pull to make a nice round curve, you can then continue with another or click on the second dot and curve in a slightly different direction.

If that doesn't make sense, sorry, sometimes you just gotta see first hand and be walked through it.

Thanks for the feedback and the question.

Blom

Post by Blom » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:49 pm

That looks great aaron! Only one thing, the text looks like it goes under the arm..
Tor Harald Blom

almo

Post by almo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:22 am

Nice work!

ethan

Post by ethan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:53 am

Sweet.

jscott71

Post by jscott71 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:42 am

Very very lovely! :D
http://scottbrown71.blogspot.com/
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans."
~Woody Allen

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Its beautiful, aaron. I love the orange and blue, mixed with the white and black. Amazingly done in illustrator!

al_johnson

Post by al_johnson » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:54 pm

That's a really cool design. My main quibble would be that it feels awkward where the line is lost around the fish's mouth and perhaps instead the line could continue but be thinner.

aaron

Post by aaron » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone.

Blom- I see what your saying, But it's all adjustable size-wise. FOr a final I'd probably pull the image in a little.

al_johnson- hmmm, good idea. The guy that just paid me for this said the same thing when we brought it up on his pc. I might just have to revise, since I might be doing a business card/letter head for him aswell for some more rent loot, I'll have reason to fine tune.