Hans Christian Anderson

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
aaron

Hans Christian Anderson

Post by aaron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 pm

Here is an illustration for class, we are to take a famous person and make a caricature of them. I've seen so many big face distortions of famous people and don't really want to recreate that, so I decided to take Hans Christian and engulf him with his creations. For those that don't know, Hans wrote the little mermaid (actually very dark story as opossed to the disney version), the ugly duckling, the princess and the pea, the butterfly (about a butterfly searching for a flower as a bride and decides to just attach to a stock and live become a flower instead) and hundreds of others. This is the initial sketch, I already added the peas under the girl (not shown here) which coresponds with the story more, I think adding maybe one or two more characters from his stories and possibly an inferred envionment, but really I like it as it for continuing to ink and then photoshop. I'm currently inking it on a larger scale and will post developments as I do them....Any c&c is welcome:

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:19 pm

This is absolutely fantastic. I love it.
It has such a wonderful feel to it.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:34 pm

This is amazing! It has a very James Jean feel to it. Great stuff!

aaron

Post by aaron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:37 pm

Thanks a lot! I hope I can keep the feel it has now into the inks and colors...

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:14 pm

hey aaron, thats just beautiful! I love it. Only thing that's bothering me a tiny bit is the mermaids tail, it hits H.C. Andersens head so that it kinda looks like his ponytail. :P But, i believe that will change when you color it.

Anyway, - at the DB - caricature section, there is this guy that is putting together a gallery for H.C. Anderson, and even tho this is not a caricature, I bet he'll love this in his gallery! His nick is udgang99, you could show him and ask. :)

here's the gallery, by the way: Gallery of H. C. Andersen

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:46 am

This sketch is great. I really like the style. When I first looked at it, it seemed to me that the arm holding the book is shorter than the other arm. There is enough of a difference that it still bothers me. Other than that, I think it's great.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Blom

Post by Blom » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:43 am

This image looks so great! :D But I feel that the nose is diffrent, on the images of HCA you see that his nose goes in a straight line and you have bendt it... Other that that it looks very very good! I like how you have made him with the long slim arms. That´s great! :D I do hope you color it!
Tor Harald Blom

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:17 am

Muffin- actually thats where I got the idea to do it. In my mind it is a caricature, but a unconventional one. When I'm done I will post it there too. Thanks btw. Oh the tail, I wanted to or at least I had the idea to have her spilling out of his head like an idea, a steam of all his creations.

Mike Laughead- Your right, I'm gonna see if I can change it when I bring it into PS.

Blom- hmm I do beleive your right, small difference, does it still visually seem like Hans though? Or should I just make a small adjustment?

sam

Post by sam » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 am

beautiful ! looking forward to see the colored version

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:42 am

Thanks, Inking today....

Blom

Post by Blom » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:06 pm

aaron wrote: Mike Laughead- Your right, I'm gonna see if I can change it when I bring it into PS.

Blom- hmm I do beleive your right, small difference, does it still visually seem like Hans though? Or should I just make a small adjustment?
Can you test it in PS and see if it works, but go with what you feel is right. ;)
Tor Harald Blom

ethan

Post by ethan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:08 pm

I am stunned. I love the shading in his coat, and the way the Little Mermaid twists around him.

frak

Post by frak » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:33 pm

Oh MY THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

My only crit is I thought her tale was his pony tale. I would sugest that you flip the tale.

BUT! I supose if it get colored that wont be a huge problem.
Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

campy22

Post by campy22 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:04 am

i can't believe I haven't seen this one before.
Aaron, I think this is one of my favorite of yours.
Better than the Poison Ivy ...
definitely.

Your lines are so beautiful.
In a way., looking at this one, I'm thinking Brian Froud's Fairies... but, I'm not sure why... and, Arthur Rackam as well...both HIGHLY respected artists in my book.

Great job!

aaron

Post by aaron » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks a lot campy, You are as well in my book. I'm still doing reseach, and trying some things. I have inked a photocopied version at 140 percent but won't post that untill I decide on adding anymore elements/characters. I might just go with what I have and start painting, if so I'll post the inked version on monday. I think even thoug hthe idea of changing the fin of the little mermaid, colors could very well take care of that.