3 Sketches, would like feedback

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Rathboma

3 Sketches, would like feedback

Post by Rathboma » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but I wanted to contribute something. I'm not up to the standard of most people here, but I'm learning and I'm very proud of my latest sketches.

I'd really appriciate feedback, as I've only been drawing for about 4 months. Thanks all:

Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation --- Kin Hubbard

ethan

Post by ethan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:19 pm

The line and detail in your first sketch are very impressive.

Makafui

Post by Makafui » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:06 pm

It is hard to say much since you are new to drawing and it is quite stylised but I will try (please don't take any negative comments to heart, I know you are learning and this was just how I also learnt):

You are using varying line weights which is a good thing, and you have a basic grasp of forms, so I suggest push this further, try to draw from life as much as you can. And get yourself some anatomy books to learn from, so that you understand the muscles and forms underneath.

Also in certain areas your drawings are flat (only natural when you are starting out) my advice is practice a few hours every week at least drawing from life starting with drawing with geometry
i.e. using just shapes not circles but spheres, tubes and so forth, make sure you think in 3d and try to understand the whole shape. (it's frustrating and takes time)

Pick up a book on perspective I can see here that all your drawings are more or less dead on, by doing this you will be able to put some more depth into the drawings and get a lot out of it (it's scary Is till haven't gotten far :) )

anyway I hope that helped I was trying to be constructive I hope I didn't cause effect, I have to say though you are a lot better at 4 months than I was. Keep it up. and get some life drawing classes if you can it will teach you lots.

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:42 am

Makafui pretty much said it all.
I will add, I like the first one most, it has a nice style to it. Just keep practicing!

Rathboma

Post by Rathboma » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:46 am

Thanks guys.

Makafui - your comments weren't harsh at all, I'm pleased to get a genuine opinion on what needs to be improved.

As for the perspective and anatomy books, could someone reccommend a few for me? What are the best ones?

I actually find thinking in 3d the hardest bit, I can do perspective better once I get into the rhythm of a picture but sometimes I just screw it all up and choose a miserable angle or something.

Really thanks for the comments, I'd love to be as good at drawing as most of you!
Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation --- Kin Hubbard

Makafui

Post by Makafui » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:22 pm

Good good
Perspective
Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in Your Artwork by David Chelsea- This gives you everything you need to now without the parts that including mathematically working out angles, this is about using your eye and the rules of perspective.

Anatomy
Dynamic Anatomy and Dynamic figure drawing by Burne Hogarth- these are a bit 50's in style but hit the nail ont he head when it comes to seeing the human body in 3D.

Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet and John Davis - This uses photos of humans and then drawings of what is underneath on tracing paper, and also tells you how to approach drawing it, very good.

Anatomy For The Artist by Jeno Barcsay-
A good one to have.

I hope that helped.