Exula Montage,Speed Paints and a WIP on Pg2

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
kyubikitsy

Post by kyubikitsy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:35 pm

Ah~ Great use of color! It's definitely something I'm working more on~ :D

I agree with the above that the energy coming from these speed paints are phenomenal!

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:12 am

Glad to hear it Kyubikitsy! And thank you for the kind words :D

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:48 am

wow i love your looseness and colour use on these last few pictures.
once again wow!! :shock:
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

amandagrazini

Post by amandagrazini » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:01 pm

I like you colours and sense of light very very much!

:D

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:36 pm

Yeah, I have to chime in and congratulate you on the lovely colour schemes and lighting techniques you've got going on here. I particularly like the one with the trees and the waterfall. Care to share some of your texturing techniques?

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:03 pm

Bluebottle, Amandagrazini, Tony: Thank you very much for your replies, I made an effort to make sure the lighting and colouration was different for all of these. Hopefully the more I do, the more intuitive I'll become at deciding colour schemes.

Regarding textures there's not really such a great deal to tell. A lot of the work is done with the good ol' roundbrush. I start with a really large brush with a middling opacity and I just start sweeping the brushstrokes over one another. As they build up they create some of the texture.

Things like foliage are done using again bog standard photoshop brushes with scattering and direction set in the brush presets. I just spent a couple of hours pissing around seeing what all the settings did. Spatter brushes and rough edged brushes also go a loooooong way when you layer them up again and again

Then of course theres secret chemical X which I use at the end ;P Hopefully secret chemical X will allow me to paint better anatomy eventually in speed paints. I'm woefully uncomfortable painting anatomy at high speeds. I suppose that'll come with more experience.

Thanks again!

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:38 pm

I've arrived at this party late because being rude is fashionable, I hear. Hey Nick!

*knocks potted plant off of a sill in a boorish stumble*

Yikes, soil in the carpet? That's a pain, eh?

*grinds dirt further into carpet with heel of boots*

Oops, sorry, didn't see that dirt there. Looks like someone must've knocked over your plant, Nick.

*flings foot onwards as if to make an obnoxiously large step forward, but an obstacle blocks the path. It is your shin, which I have now kicked*

Ha ha, whoopsy, sorry Nick. Didn't see you there. Nice party, eh? I probably should have taken my steel-toed boots off at the door, which I kicked down by the way because these boots are new and I want to try them out.

*kicks you in the shin, again*

They say the boots won't wear out for at least fifty thousand kicks to the shin.

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

*kick*

Oh look, the blood, bone fragments and soil are forming a paste. That'll never come out!

*kick*

PS. Nice artwork.
ImageImageImageImage

Blom

Post by Blom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:51 pm

WOW!

Somhow I have not seen this tread before, but it´s beautifull work! The first one is so smashing with all the colors and with all the detales. And the speed-paintings has so much enviormental feel to them that they pop out!
Verry cool! :shock:

Marty

Post by Marty » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:20 pm

these are beautiful. My favorite is the vertical crossing the bridge/waterfall one. It's striking.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 am

Man, you're getting better by leaps and bounds. These new pieces are fantastic! :D

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:47 am

:shock: Ooooh pretty colours.
That first one is great and the speed paints too especially the bridge and the one with the guy with the spikey armour.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:25 am

Oh yeah. some of the best work I've seen from you so far. The first piece is very nice and colorful, but the loose speed paintings are very very nice. Great work with the colour and lighting. I really like the bar scene and the waterfall and bridge.

bannister

Post by bannister » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:34 am

I agree with Johanne and Kaz' and everyone else who's congratulationing you. (I'm not sure the word congratulationing does exist...)

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:40 am

:D Wow guys! I don’t know what to say, I guess I’ll start by saying thank you!

I haven’t had much of a chance to indulge my personal work the last couple of weeks. My girlfriend finally got back from teaching in Poland and well…y’know ^_____^
I’ve been studying anatomy and getting lessons on it too, so hopefully that’ll filter through to later speed paints.

I have a quicky here and a wip which I’m using the same technique for, but taking longer on, as I’d like it to possibly be a poster, we’ll see. Eventually it’ll be in colour, though working in tonal values at first is how I personally crank them out at a good pace. :D

These speed paintings are really exciting for me as it helps me to visualise the story, it’s even more exciting that you guys are diggin’ them.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for stopping by Mike, we must do this again sometime...though possibly in slippers 8)......and I'll lay down some plastic sheeting...0_o

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:59 pm

That black and white one is gorgeous... I can't wait till you're free to share some of the stuff you've been doing at work.

The first one has the tried and true elements of Nick-brand excellence, though the anatomy is a little conspicuously stretched, chiefly in the chest and right arm. Still a strong gesture though.
ImageImageImageImage