leaving the island

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
metron

leaving the island

Post by metron » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:06 pm

Image[/img]
Hi, here's the second image from about a 1/2 a dozen that I have for this story. I'll post some various images for other stories that I'm tinkering with. My little nephew, Dylan is really into all the new worlds I've been creating for him all the images are works in progress. Looking for some feedback. Thanks

len

Post by len » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:10 pm

Hey, Funky!
Looks like ZBrush. Is it?

metron

Post by metron » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi, no it's all photoshop. Whole lotta layers, blending, and painting. Oh, everything except my nephew are little sculptures

Mike Thompson

Post by Mike Thompson » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:39 am

Again, great stuff! This would make for a fun television show/movie/children's book!

Scruffy

Gibbering Mouthers

Post by Scruffy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Aside from the fact that I'd kill this thing if I met it in a D&D campaign :), this is an intriguing idea.

You asked for feedback, so I thought I'd chime in with a few notes if you don't mind.

1) There are places, like this mouth, that look clipped on, that have no relationship to the surrounding terrain - most of the pieces, the eyes, the tentacles, etc, wrap around each other or push each other in ways that make them seem like they're touching or molded together. This one does not.

2 and 3) Similar to 1. Double check the shading from one detail to another to help the impression that this is all one object.

4) Where the figures meet the water is a real problem, and the fuzziness of the join is not working at all. You have to edit/model the edge of the water just like you have the other parts.

Also, double-check the relative values and textures of things to make sure they match believably. There seems to be a good deal of light source confusion - the shadows on the main eye creature are clearly from the upper right, but the clouds, child, blue creature and distant objects seem to have different sources. Also, looking over it again, the shadows on the main creature don't all seem to agree, either.

Anyway, there you go. I think you're on to something with the technique, but you just need to pay closer attention to these kinds of mechanical details. :)

Cheers,

-Scruffy

metron

leaving the island

Post by metron » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:24 pm

Scruffy thanks for the constructive crit. I agree those areas and more have to be adjusted.