Yogopogo logo (try to say that twelve times in a row)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
pdaoust

Yogopogo logo (try to say that twelve times in a row)

Post by pdaoust » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:44 pm

Here is a little logo that I did (on spec, of course, and the client decided to 'go in a different diirection' and with a different designer, natch). I figgered putting it on this board was acceptable, because it's pretty cartoony as logos go. (Especially my logos, which tend to be rather staid.) I had fun with this, and everybody liked it. Except for the client, of course. C'est dommage.

(For those of you who don't know, the Ogopogo, or the N'ha-a-itk as the natives call it, is the resident monster in our lake. Kinda like Nessie. Neat stuff!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:54 pm

aw, that's cute! but i don't think just because it's cartoony means you can post it here. i see non-cartoony logos here all the time. nice ones too.

pdaoust

Post by pdaoust » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 am

thanks for the encouragement, Mr Cow!

by the way, folks, criticisms are welcome. What do you think about the hand (the one not holding the bowl)? To me it seems out of place with the rest of the image. Also the single eyebrow -- does that work? etc, etc.

geckochan

Post by geckochan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:38 am

I knew it! As soon as I say the title I though "yogopogo...ogopogo?" (I'm in Kelowna!)
I think it's adorable - I love that tone of pink with the green.
Hmm, the hand...I didn't really notice it, so I can't say it looked off to me, but if I block it with my hand (so basically what it would look like if it was holding the bowl with two hands or something), the personality/feel tilts a little to be a bit less goofy/more cute feeling. Uh, or maybe that's just me.
Anyway, considering how cool it is to have our very own lake monster, the poor thing doesn't get nearly enough love. In fact, I would love to see Ogopogo art, maybe a diptych contrasting the much more threatening Demon of the Lake image to the cuter gentler Ogopogo. Maybe I should do that...
Anyway, I like it! :D

pdaoust

Post by pdaoust » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:21 pm

hoooo! A fellow Okanaganer! that's sweet... small, small world. I'm not actually in Summerland anymore; I live in Penticton now. Bought myself a little townhouse (it was the only thing I could afford!) I actually just went to Kelowna today with my brothers.

thanks for the comments, btw! I really appreciated them.

benzhu

Post by benzhu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:23 am

I love that logo. I think of it more as a spot illustration more than a logo though. I am also very impressed with the type setting and font choice.

pdaoust

Post by pdaoust » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:10 am

thanks kindly. Typography is where my real area of experience lies, actually, so thanks for noticing!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:12 am

I also thought it didn't look so much like a logo, but would still probably work well on a label.

Don't feel too hung up about the client's rejection; it possibly involves a lot of considerations (or maybe whims) that don't have anything to do with your skill. I think it looks great. :)

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:26 pm

Love the logo.

As far as a critique. I love the line quality, but it gets a little clunky around the mouth area. I don't know how you could fix that besides introducing two line weights instead of the single one you have.

To me the lines between a spot illustration and a logo are very blurry. It depends on what the logo is for. I think yours fits well.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Cute!

The only thing I'd really change is switching the tooth to the other side of the mouth.