King Hippo

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Dan Santat

King Hippo

Post by Dan Santat » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:12 am

Hey folks, been a while since I posted. This is a pinting I just recently completed (well, I'm still punching up some highlights actually). It's for the upcoming "I Am 8-Bit" show here in LA. This is "King Hippo" from the old Mike Tyson's Punch-Out game on the NES. I was gonna paint Bald Bull but apparently after asking all my friennds, King Hippo is the real memorable icon from that game. Hope you all like and I hope everyone had a nice New Year and pleasant holiday season.

Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

aaron

Post by aaron » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:30 am

heh nice, lol bandage over the belly button.

fang

Post by fang » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:59 am

hahahhaha... amazing...

get´em king hippo hahahahhahhahah

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:01 am

Sweet! Man, Punch-Out was awesome. I can still hear the punching sounds, the rhythmic evasion of Joe Flamenco's blows... ahhh, memories...

daveau82

Post by daveau82 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:23 am

Oh man that takes me back. Thanks for sharing Dan! By the way, how is the Replacements cartoon going?

daveau82

Post by daveau82 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:23 am

Oh man that takes me back. Thanks for sharing Dan! By the way, how is the Replacements cartoon going?

campy22

Post by campy22 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:44 am

ahahahah...awesome

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:38 am

Admittedly, I never played the Nintendo version of Punch Out only the arcade version (which didn't have "King Hippo") and I su-uuucked at it.

daveau-

The Replacements catroon is going great! Disney will be flying the diretor, exec-producer, and myself out to Korea in a few months to go see the production line. We had to make one casting change, Will Arnett had to bow out as the voice of the dad for the show because he's way too busy with movie shoots now, but we ended up picking up Bryan Cranston (the dad from Malcolm In the Middle) instead and he's frickin' AWESOME! We got Bruce Campbell to do a voice of the dad's rival stuntman counterpart "Gordo Glideright" and I got Rhea Perlman to agree to do a voice part on the show as well after illustrating a bunch of books with her (and with time permitting in his schedule, Danny Devito will be included) Otherwise, the show is moving along smoothly and will premiere on the Disney Channel in the Fall of this year.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:34 pm

ha, that's amazing! great job with it...

...he was the EASIEST one!

io

Post by io » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:25 pm

So cool!

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Ohhh. You have a TV show? With real actual celebrities? Lucky.

~IJ

PS: I visited your website for the first time as well; it's very cool. I dig the steel guitar music in the background; it's not often that web pages hook up well with music, but you made it work

daveau82

Post by daveau82 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:24 pm

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the update. That's so awesome that you've got Bruce Campbell doing a voice. I actually took some tests last summer for Storyboards and Revisions on the show (Heather M. was great and very generous with her time) but didn't make the cut; it was fun learning your style though! I can totally see Bryan Cranston in the Dick Daring role, can't wait to see it! Have fun in Korea, I bet that'll be a blast.

-Dave.

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:11 am

daveau-

Wow, I didn't know that you tried out for the show and sorry we couldn't bring you aboard. :cry: I really don't have as keen an eye for great storyboarding as Heather or as some of the other gifted folks here on this board do, so I really don't let my opinion take precedence.
I do now realize though that storyboarding is perhaps the single most important part of the show in my opinion. Contrary to the beliefs of writers for animated shows. :wink:

daveau82

Post by daveau82 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:25 am

Hey Dan, no worries. I enjoyed the tryout process and Heather was great; she met with me weekly to check out was I was doing and gave me some great pointers. Plus, my style is really different than the one I had to adapt for the show, which was an awesome challenge in and of itself.

rickey

Post by rickey » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:01 pm

:shock: I don't really know what to say, other than your awesome! I wish I could meet all of you great masters, so I can take a little of your talent away. I can't wait to see the show eitheir!