Let The Groundhog Sleep

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Jason

Let The Groundhog Sleep

Post by Jason » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:24 am

I've been working on some illustrations for a self-published calendar this month. The theme of the drawings is "predictions of the future". This is one that I did for February.

In the future, scientists have created an artificial intelligence that can predict how many more weeks of winter there will be better than a groundhog. The groundhog eventually becomes obselete, but that just means it has more time to sleep in every February.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/

jpjpjp

Post by jpjpjp » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:05 am

jason!! can't wait to see this year's calendar... still have last years hanging up. Wonderful stuff!

Vince

Post by Vince » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:25 am

Cool, you work well with the ink and solid colors. It sseems like you know what you're doing when it comes to coloring, so all I can say is an unhelpful "neat!" :roll:

I don't think the photoshopped head works for me. I think I know what you wanted to do, but in this case the dissimilarity is too jarring. Also -- and you'll probably HATE this -- I don't think there's enough detail in the crowd. It took me a while to figure out they weren't standing in a field of purple snow.

I do like the staging, though. I think the cutaway view works well. I like stuff like that because it shows how much freedom comic book artists have. Overall, pretty cool and I'd like to see more. :D

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:01 am

JPx3 - Dude! I didn't even know you visited these boards. Awesome!
As for the calendar, not only should it rock your socks off, but it won't be done three months into the year like last time. :roll:

Vince - I appreciate whatever comments I get, even if it is just "neat". Thanks for your critiques as well. As for the crowd, I agree it could be more detailed. I admittedly rushed that part of the picture because I'm trying to get this printed before the end of the month (way to paint yourself into a corner Jason!). If I can find the time, I think I'll try to add a little more detail though, so thanks for bringing that point up.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:49 am

I like how the virtual groundhog is more "real" than he is. 8)

At first I thought this was his dream/prediction of the future. I want to know what he's thinking in there!

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:01 am

Vince wrote: Also -- and you'll probably HATE this -- I don't think there's enough detail in the crowd. It took me a while to figure out they weren't standing in a field of purple snow.
I didn't notice that it was a crowd of people until I read this post. I love the illo, but I think the critique that the crowd needs to be more defined is a valid one.

I also agree with the comment about the photoshop groundhog head. I would much rather see a well done ink rendering, you could color the lines light so that it looked "hologram-ish". Anyway, I love the style, the inks, the coloring and the design. Great work.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:45 am

Alright, message recieved... add more detail to the crowd :D Again, thanks for the thoughts guys.

Neil> I like your interpretation of the groundhog dreaming the scene. As for what he's actually dreaming... I wish I had an appropriately witty response. Sorry!