::Update:: New drawing of Mill with background...

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
elisio

Post by elisio » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:39 pm

that last one works on all levels.
the drawing and coloring is solid. the posture is good and the expression on the face convey emotion.
good work Noik. you're improving your skills by the hour. and it's just the beginning :)
keep it up!

e.

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:41 am

Thx Elisio, so the shadow is placed correctly?
Because, I was thinking that somebody notice that the
shadow in her neck and in the cape would not be correct...
Wasn't sure though... :roll:

elisio

Post by elisio » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:53 am

well, it depends on what you're trying to achieve. if you're looking for accurate shadows, then no, they are not placed correctly. if all you want is a "realistic" feel, then it works.
accurate shadows are rarely used in comics because a) it's not easy getting them right (unless you have a model or are very, very talented) and b) it doesn't always work.
i rarely use accurate shadows. i usually go for something looser that fits the mood and style of the piece. and, sometimes, you don't need shadows at all :)

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:00 am

*Me sighs in relief :lol:* Thx all.

It's great that I finaly have improved,
and I'm still getting better, I hope I can make something
very impressive one day.

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:35 am

I think these need some anatomy help.

I realize and can appreciate the need for alternative anatomy styles, but even unconvential bodies have to look believable. Example: arms cannot double back on themselves. You cannot press your wrist to your corresponding shoulder, watch your inner arm creases, etc.

Coloring-wise? Well, there's a convention right now that a lot of people like that involves flat-shading the whole drawing on a multiply layer and then colorizing the shadows to correspond to the color underneath them. You're experimenting with that, but study other people's coloring styles and figure out what works for you. machall is a good place to start. applegeeks is jsut depressing for beginners (me in particular.)

Remember, the most important thing is to communicate your idea.
Whether that includes color is up to you.

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:47 am

Wauw, thx Threshold!

Anatomy is not correct indeed. (Didn't see it until you told it, to be honest.)
Getting a bunch of anatomy books soon, so I can go a lot further with my practice. :D

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:07 pm

Well, here I am again. Made a lot of illo's in the meantime.
Also got a Wacom and Photoshop (finaly).

So heres a new one of Mill, hope you like it...
(Yup, ears are shorter now... :wink: )

Edit: has background and all now...
Last edited by The_Noik on Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dek

Post by Dek » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:31 pm

It's improved considerably since the first sketch - the latest one is great! The folds are very nice, and the anatomy is just tighter. Only a few crits for anatomy; the thighs are slightly too long, as is the neck - as I see it, anyways, since it appears you're going with a humanized torso. The right hand, looks slightly forced - the middle finger is crossed over the index finger, which isn't as relaxed as the other fingers suggest the pose is. Other then that, the structure is firm.

If you still wanted to pursue this piece further, I'd suggest playing with the style slightly; like Threshold said, there's this trend for, especially newer, comics to shade with a flat grey, whether flat or gradient shading, adding a bit of colour to this would really push out the mood.

As it is right now, it's a great pin-up, a nice pose, and a decent colouring job for doing what it is doing right now.

If you really wanted my horribly biased opinion, and for a further idea for this piece, I suggest adding a setting, or a mood, or some idea behind it. I'd say that it seems to be meant for doing what it's doing right now; sitting on a forum, or on your wall, or glued to your binder or whatever everyone does with their art.
If I was going to be pretentious, I'd say it was flat. That's really harsh, because it really isn't. But if you were going for a work of art with this one - and you did say you wanted crits, I'd say adding something behind it. Why does he look so worried? If he is so worried, why is the lighting so natural and clear? When people on, say, TV are worried, you can always tell - the camera gets jittery, the colours get cooler or grayer, or foggier, or whatever.
I'd suggest, if it was my piece, to add a setting, or something to establish a mood of this piece. Maybe he's worried about love. Maybe he's just anxious for the future. I actually have no idea how I'd go about conveying that, so I'm digging myself into a hole here; but you get my point, right?

Bah that was rantier than I had hoped. It's awesome right now; just a little...black-and-white? I can see everything. I focus my attention on it, and then go to the next post. The air is perfectly clear, it's a nice - possibly snowy? - day, and there's a guy standing there, looking slightly anxious.

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Wow, thx for your time, Dek. :shock: :D

I see what you're trying to say, theres still a lot missing in the pose.
It needs to tell why shes (Yes, it's a she ;)) worried, and a background
would make it even more interresting.

A little expirimenting with the colours can be nice.
But I really suck with making background, tried a few,
but they didn't fit with the style the character is drawn in.

Gonna try a load of things, maybe a new sketch to make it easier
to keep things in mind, we'll see.

But thx for your time, and long, clear reply.

Going to use your advise, and see what I can do, thx again. 8) :D

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:01 am

Ok, made a background, and added some other effects,
also added a tail, hope this is a little what you meant, Dek.

(Yes I know, still needs a reason why shes looking up...
Also had a hard time with making the background,
I really suck with backgrounds...)

narishatar

Post by narishatar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:54 pm

WOW, Noik. I have been checking out your character development over the weeks and I am SO IMPRESSED with what you have been applying to Mill's features and poses and environments...WOW. Good for you! I bet we all wouldn't mind progressing as quickly as you have! Great job!

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:34 am

Woah! The lst sketch is so much improved.
AntSky *_*