Sketches (Antoine Updated Sept. 26)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:13 am

elisio wrote:hey there.
sorry if i was too hard on you. must have been PMS (for guys).
this is actually a nice forum, i'll give you that. maybe too nice even. and being nice is not always the best way to judge someone's work. even more so if that work is important to the person (and i assume it is important for you). so don't take it too personnally when i post critics, even thought it's hard to distanciate one self from his art. take it with a grain of salt or as a base for your own auto-critic.
to make things perfectly clear, i didn't say your artwork sucked. if it was the case i wouldn't even have considered posting a comment. what i saw was the work of somebody obviously still young but gutsy (or foolish) enough to post among "giants". so that deserved a critic, to move you forward.
friends are a nice support but not always the best judges. believe me, i've been there.
so, keep it up!

e.

ps: as for the signature, if you like it so much, you should go all out and actually make it part of the artwork then. like in graffiti or something. just a thought...
people think i don't like there critque....i love it! i was just hurt about the signature because i loved it soooo much...but i gave it up for a smaller and more convenient one...but if you had never said that, i would still be sticking with that hughe john handcock (bad speeling)
AntSky *_*

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:12 pm

AntSky *_*

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:14 pm

AntSky *_*

elisio

Post by elisio » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:02 am

are you playing with Photoshop again?

:D

e.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:55 am

I don't remember whether you've mention whether or not you have a scanner. If you do try scanner your drawing and editing/ painting them in PS. Also if you can afford one a Wacom drawing table for the computer is much better than a mouse.
I wish I was better

TrickyNick1001

Post by TrickyNick1001 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:27 pm

I think that your work needs some sort of. . . oomph to it. It doesn't have anything that really makes a viewer say "wow, this guy does ________ really well." I mean you have a pretty good idea of how the face is put together I'd say, but that's not going to get much praise. Now, on something of a different note, I must say that I like the last pic, because it seems to have some weight variation, which I like. I also prefer it because it has shadows. It shows depth, and doesn't make the viewer think "This looks 2D."
Anyway, keep drawing, the more practise the better. BTW, what media do you use?
Aaaaand... Tails it is. We find the defendant guilty on all charges.

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:31 pm

I use photoshop...yes, there i never "wow" in my drawing. I still do not know how to get wow.
AntSky *_*

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:39 pm

AntSky *_*

elisio

Post by elisio » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:54 pm

hmmm...
just a question. do you use a pen/tablet combo with Photoshop or is it all done with the mouse? because looking at your most recent post, the thing that i dislike the most is the lines. they are lifeless. you could improve your artwork a great deal with a set of varied lines, the kind of which you can't do with a mouse, that's for sure.

e.

Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:36 pm

The best way I've found to get "wow" is just to draw and draw and draw. Every so often, take out an old sketch book and check out how far you've come. Your only fifteen, not meant in a bad way, but to say that you have a lot of time to grow. Try to figure out what styles you like. When you look at other people's artwork pick out parts that appeal to you. Train your eye to imagine how effects were achieved. I don't know if I'm just strange this way, but when I look at the world, people, landscapes, I often think about how I would draw it.
Once you create a body of work you can start to look at what you've done right and what could be improved. Photoshop is great, but try more traditional mediums as well. Play around. You've got balls posting on a forum where there is art of the calibur that exists here. That's the first step. Art is hard work, keep at it though. It is also the most rewarding career I can imagine. The rest is just finding your groove. Your work is good for where you're at in your life, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of room for improvement. Most of all, be willing to take crtiques, but don't let them stop your inspiration.
Have you ever tried working in pen and ink?

-e
I thought it was Tangiers I wanted...

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:47 am

Elias wrote:The best way I've found to get "wow" is just to draw and draw and draw. Every so often, take out an old sketch book and check out how far you've come. Your only fifteen, not meant in a bad way, but to say that you have a lot of time to grow. Try to figure out what styles you like. When you look at other people's artwork pick out parts that appeal to you. Train your eye to imagine how effects were achieved. I don't know if I'm just strange this way, but when I look at the world, people, landscapes, I often think about how I would draw it.
Once you create a body of work you can start to look at what you've done right and what could be improved. Photoshop is great, but try more traditional mediums as well. Play around. You've got balls posting on a forum where there is art of the calibur that exists here. That's the first step. Art is hard work, keep at it though. It is also the most rewarding career I can imagine. The rest is just finding your groove. Your work is good for where you're at in your life, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of room for improvement. Most of all, be willing to take crtiques, but don't let them stop your inspiration.

-e
Don't get what you mean by the lines being lifeless.
AntSky *_*

Randy Dianogah

Post by Randy Dianogah » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:01 pm

AntSky0 wrote:
Elias wrote:The best way I've found to get "wow" is just to draw and draw and draw. Every so often, take out an old sketch book and check out how far you've come. Your only fifteen, not meant in a bad way, but to say that you have a lot of time to grow. Try to figure out what styles you like. When you look at other people's artwork pick out parts that appeal to you. Train your eye to imagine how effects were achieved. I don't know if I'm just strange this way, but when I look at the world, people, landscapes, I often think about how I would draw it.

-e
Don't get what you mean by the lines being lifeless.
meaning the lines look like they're only one size thickness with no pressure or various fine lines added to it. usually happens when drawing with a mouse or when the pressure properties aren't adjusted with your pen tablet.

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:09 pm

AntSky *_*

Dek

Post by Dek » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:22 pm

Lightsabers are alright - it just looks like it needs some cleaning up. If you stand back and look at the blades, they're kind of...well...wobbly. That's the main thing, just making things clean. You can use the line tool to draw a perfectly straight line in Photoshop. Little things like that, cleaning it up, or making it part of a style, are what makes it look more professional.

One thing I noticed about your drawings, are that they're all sort of a wobbly-black-line style. If you want to add life, do something random with lines - life is spontaneous, right? So your lines should do some wierd things, like alternating their thickness, or getting sketchy, whatever.

The other thing, is that they're all outlines, with flat colour. Try some hatching or shading or something, it'll bring it out. As of now they're all...well...black and white lines. All the same thickness; all the same colour, yada yada.

What I guess you could say, is that it's hard to find something specifically "wrong" with most art. I could say "don't do wobbly lines, make them straighter" but some people get along with the wobbly line. I could say "add some shaded colour", but some people do well with flat colour. There's nothing specifically right with it, but there's nothing specifically wrong with a white wall either. It's just...hate to dish a plain white wall....but kind of boring.

P.S. Big pictures that stretch the forum make baby jesus cry.

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:15 pm

Dek wrote:Lightsabers are alright - it just looks like it needs some cleaning up. If you stand back and look at the blades, they're kind of...well...wobbly. That's the main thing, just making things clean. You can use the line tool to draw a perfectly straight line in Photoshop. Little things like that, cleaning it up, or making it part of a style, are what makes it look more professional.

One thing I noticed about your drawings, are that they're all sort of a wobbly-black-line style. If you want to add life, do something random with lines - life is spontaneous, right? So your lines should do some wierd things, like alternating their thickness, or getting sketchy, whatever.

The other thing, is that they're all outlines, with flat colour. Try some hatching or shading or something, it'll bring it out. As of now they're all...well...black and white lines. All the same thickness; all the same colour, yada yada.

What I guess you could say, is that it's hard to find something specifically "wrong" with most art. I could say "don't do wobbly lines, make them straighter" but some people get along with the wobbly line. I could say "add some shaded colour", but some people do well with flat colour. There's nothing specifically right with it, but there's nothing specifically wrong with a white wall either. It's just...hate to dish a plain white wall....but kind of boring.

P.S. Big pictures that stretch the forum make baby jesus cry.
It wont' go down...it should be 500 by 300 pixels but it won't show up like that...um...line maker, duh!
AntSky *_*