I feel like I should contribute something...

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
PuzzleShift

I feel like I should contribute something...

Post by PuzzleShift » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:02 pm

I don't do much art anymore, but I'd like to try my hand at a graphic novel at some point in the near future. These are the only two decent ink pieces I've ever really done. What do you think?

-PS

Ent of Fangorn

Pogoda Palace

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:57 am

Hey, those are nice!

One suggestion though, and this is something i'm learning the hard way with my gallery work, is that with pen & ink you've got to go pretty heavy on the shadows and dark spots to get a good contrast feel.

Without color you've got to over emphasize the contrast, or else stuff can wind up feeling sort of grey and muted.

Frank Stockton

keep drawing!

Post by Frank Stockton » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:22 am

They have a very Edward Gorey feel. That's not meant as a negative criticism. I'd love to see you do a graphic novel. Do some weird story and dont' look at any other comics while you're doing it, just go crazy!

I love odd stuff, but maybe that's just me.

FRANK

p.s. don't listen to anyone but yourself!

Nick

Re: I feel like I should contribute something...

Post by Nick » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:22 pm

PuzzleShift wrote:I don't do much art anymore
That's a shame, you certainly have the skills. You have great attention to detail and the Ent has a lot of character. It could just be me, but the perspective of the buildings in the Pogoda Palace piece seem a little out; maybe it's a too drastic on the foreground building... but its beautifully rendered. Now get cracking on that Graphic novel. :)

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:32 am

Hey sparkle, I wasn't familiar with the name, so I Googled him - I like it! And no wonder the style looked familiar; I remember always watching the title sequence to PBS's Mystery when I was a kid because I loved the spooky animation.
Thanks for the compliments, folks, and the tips. You have certainly encouraged me to give a bit *more* thought to additional ink work...but for the time being I am painting quite a bit.
In the meantime, here's one more ink I forgot I had scanned. What could I have done differently with the shadows on the ground? They look distracting to me now, but I'm not sure how I could have improved it...

-PS

Marty

Post by Marty » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:30 pm

hhmmm i don't think the shadows are distracting at all.. if anything they add to the piece.. i like.....

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:12 pm

wow the pagoda is very clean and nice...