Falling (Finished!)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Woody

Falling (Finished!)

Post by Woody » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:30 am

At the end of this quarter the school newspaper will be printing an art issue featuring, as it sounds, art. More specifically, the art of us artists who work there on a daily basis. Since I am graduating this year I get one full, entire page all to myself with which I can draw whatever I want. Here's what I've started so far:

This took me about an hour and a half, and takes up about a quarter of the page if you were to put a box around the image.

-Woody
Last edited by Woody on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:42 am

Cool Woody. You're getting a lot better. I'll give you some crits. The perspective on the log is too much. From that angle the lines would be more parallel. Also, the kid's head is too human. Try to simplify it a little.

Woody

Post by Woody » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:39 pm

Thanks, Rad! I went ahead and re-worked my drawing with your crits in mind. I keep amazing myself with my drawings because I remember back to a year ago when I pretty much had no practical idea of perspective or anatomy or anything, really. I still don't know either too well, but I'm working on that. :P

Hehehe, it always makes me laugh when people call him a kid, because he's totally an adult. :D Thanks again, man!

EDIT: Okay, I've gone on to draw the rest of the page, making it one scene instead of a collage of a whole bunch of images, which is where I thought it would go.

I did notice that I need to change the shadow of the upper left cloud, which is currently directly underneath it, suggesting that that cloud is not up very high at all, and also not going with the rest of the image. I drew the outline of the shadow some unseen cloud at the bottom of the page, though I suppose that could be the shadow of that upper-left cloud as long as I erase that other shadow. Do you think that would work?

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:07 am

I'm wondering....almost every big elements of your drawing is on the right side of the page. Maybe you should try and move the mountain to the left, try to have the curve of it lead the eye to the characters on the right.

It will be fun to see it finished :D

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:54 am

Nice Woody. His face is much better.

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:37 am

Rad: Thanks!

Nofret: ah, I see exactly what you mean, and it is a most excellent suggestion. This whole "composition" thing is very mysterious to me and seems to elude me at all times. Maybe if I had a tranquilizer dart I could catch up to it... :D

Woody

Post by Woody » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:06 pm

The final piece! Yay, all done!

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:55 am

Cool Woody. This is such an improvement from when I first met you. Keep it up man.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:43 am

great blacks woody!

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks, Marco!

Thanks, Rad! I've noticed that too. A year ago I didn't even really know what perspective was, so I'm really happy with how much I've improved.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:12 pm

This turned out well! I really like those clouds! And the part where the mountain pokes through, very cool.
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:32 am

Excellent!

This thread is the perfect example of how constructive criticism helps make a much better piece. :)
--Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:42 am

Joe Shig wrote:Excellent!

This thread is the perfect example of how constructive criticism helps make a much better piece. :)
Nicely said; good ol' Flight :)

Good work Woody, It's really come together and the little curls in the clouds are ace.

matthewart

great gravy!!!

Post by matthewart » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:04 pm

Wow... look at that... the line work is incredible... the style... som much movement. I love the characters... I want to know who wins!!!
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Woody

Post by Woody » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:47 pm

Wow! Thanks, everybody! Glad you all like it. I'm really happy with how it came out. :)

Oh, and Matthew, the squirrel wins. Oh yeah. :D