CD cover art, Hi I'm new

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Crash

CD cover art, Hi I'm new

Post by Crash » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:19 pm

Hey everyone, how's it going?

Now go create is still not up, and DA is kind of like asking people for opinions in a flood, but this site looks respectable enough. AKA, hi I'm new please give me your opinion

I got a commision for CD art, the guys were really awsome and basicly told me I can do anything I want, but I'm never sure if my stuff looks "professional" enough. This is the front and back, the side to the right of the distracting white line is the front, will have the band name and cd title, and the left side, the back will open up and kind of connect. I'm set on a red font.

Also, I based the boy off the best example of angsty indie rock poster child I could think of, conor oberst. Coinsidently with the "forgien" looking girl I cant help but think of "the poetic retelling of an unfortunate suduction"... hahah. I think bright eyes is killing me.

P.s., I was drunk when I did the boarders, and I guess what I want to ask is, "DO YOU THINK I CAN GET AWAY WITH IT" but my pen work is horrably clumbsy anyway.

JonM

Post by JonM » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:08 pm

Let me guess...life affirming bubblegum-pop music?
*teehee*

Anyway, I think your art works. But for such a project a lot of it comes down to font choice and other graphic design issues on whether or not the CD jacket looks good. But it sounds like you already have that covered.

uminthecoil

Post by uminthecoil » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:45 pm

that's gorgeous...love your lighting and choice of colors
Andrew

DrakeRed

Post by DrakeRed » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:10 am

Well the drawing is nicely done. Not a big fan of the borders, but if the band like them, more power to you. I really like how you drew the boy. Great job on the lighting. Though I would like to see the legs continue to the border. He looks like he is floating.

One thing you could try is placing the text on the covers. Like the Band name and the tracks names on the back, as well as the production company's logo and such. Congrats on the commission. :D
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Dek

Post by Dek » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:31 am

HEhe -nicely angstily done :D I love her feet :)

J.ELLIS

Post by J.ELLIS » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:46 pm

nice piece - like the art style though i pretty much agree with everyone else in that you should get a look of it with the design/lettering

on top of which - also print out a copy or two simply because the flimsy glossy paper used for cd covers may affect your depth of shading once printed - do a trial now and see for yourself and then you can adjust if necessary

ltr
Jonathan Ellis
Co-Editor in Chief - PopImage.com

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:52 am

you really did a good job drawing that boy, that lighting is sweet.
-Justin

Quezzie

Post by Quezzie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:48 am

Yep, I third the nice job on the boy. And I'm a fan of white paint on toned paper, so yah. The borders I don't mind, works with the vintage-y style.

Hope they go for it. ^_^
Image Image