thread - *scenes from your childhood*

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Sweet_Baboo

thread - *scenes from your childhood*

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:45 am

hey wouldn't it be neat to have a thread of *scenes from your childhood* - illustrations of memorable moments in your childhood, a map of your old neighborhood, a drawing of your bestfriend in kindergarten, a sketch of your most prized toy... as you remember them - blow off the dust and put those neurons back together to conjure up what your eyes saw as a child.

hmm? hmm?

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:07 am

since i started this, i better put something in here -

something quick i painted on a mothers day card (it's from a photograph) but kinda sums up going to school in Japan. Back then, pretty much all girls wore skirts to school (not by a rule, but by culture) and we wore name tags. We had "randoselu's", leather backpacks. (boys had black ones and girls had red ones) This was in the morning when all the neighbor kids gather to get together with their assigned "walk to school" groups, and we walk single file, with the 6th graders in the front as leaders, then 1st 2nd 3rd ... to the back where there's another 6th grader or a 5th grader as the sub leader. And it was prestigious to be trusted with these positions. It meant you're responsible and well respcted by the adults as well as the younger students.

My brother was the cutest little boy.

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:22 am

here is one i did a while back

the simple joys

catching tadpoles at local creek, running around in our own little adventures, the old card on wheel spokes trick and just laying around imagining stuff.
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:53 am

heeeeeey, cool, Mr. Bluebottle!

I have memories of catching tadpoles too... running around in rice fields with a buckets.

good post!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:14 pm

Here's a re-post of this image with my brother and me. I'm on the left. :)

househatke

Post by househatke » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:20 pm

Yeah, yeah. It's not a drawin, but it tells you something about my childhood.

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:34 pm

baboo: great painting. i love the hair.

ben: awww! you were a cute kid.

good stuff in this thread! more stuff!!

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:24 pm

Below, a couple of old sketches that I was reminded of when I saw this topic. Thoughafter seeing them again, I'm sort of inspired to fool around with coloring these images, maybe make them more "complete". We'll see how that goes.

This was based on a specific incident. There were large rocks like the one pictured above in the forests behind my house when I was 6 or 7. While a friend and I were climbing rocks one day, my buddy told me about a some giant spiders he read about that lived inside mountains and crevises, that would pop out and grab any unsuspecting prey that came by their lair (most likely an childhood exaggeration of a trapdoor spider). Still, the idea of such a creature got to my overactive imagination, and I was always wary when climbing around rocks that looked like they might conceal the lair of a giant man-eating spider.

Again with the forests behind my house. The ferns there were huge, and many hours were spent idly hacking through this "jungle" using sticks as makeshift machetes.

Finally, here is a comic that I drew about a trip to the zoo where my dad convinced me that a llama had bitten his thumb off. :lol: It eventually was collected in an anthology of childhood stories.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:00 pm

Jason - WOW gppd illustrations, good stories, and the comic is awesome! I remember getting hit in the back by monkey fesces when I went to the zoo.

househatke - he he that's a nice picture. You look like a news reporter - funny how your hair's all patteddown to one side.

kazu - i like that illustration. Bowl cuts are the cutest on little brothers, huh? and can you still skateboard?

this is kinda different in format, but I wanted to try to map out the area where I lived. (still in works) I gues it's the "the way to my heart" because my friend who's in Japan right now said he might go to that town and I imagined the process would feel like "Fantastic Voyage" like he'd be travelling remotely but physically through my mind and who i am... in a way...

rodguen

Post by rodguen » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:26 pm

:D Very very nice thread.
Keep it up,guys.
I'd like to join when i 'll have a minute.

r.

Clio

sorry this is so scrawly!

Post by Clio » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:38 pm

My cousin and me barbequing slugs on the family grill when we tired of pouring salt on them.

- Clio

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:20 am

cool pics all 'round/

like the thumb story Jason. very cool

and that blood flow animation and whole map are cool Sweet Baboo
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:52 am

back in the day, when me and my brother were being roudy my mom would send us outside and say "go dig a hole" so we did.

Image[/img]

hemigoblin

Post by hemigoblin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:47 pm

lunarc >> haha.. digging holes was the best.
kazu >> Big wheels were awesome. Especially on the big hills.

Clank

Post by Clank » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:47 pm

Ben, you're my new hero. :D