classical take - open my eyes

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
newstreamer

classical take - open my eyes

Post by newstreamer » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:10 pm

Here's a full-illustration (from a possible set) of three mini-sequential. (It is Daphne, but I may not call her Daphne since I'm changing up the story in my actual project.) My current idea is, originally, to bounce around from era to era, taking myths and turn them into something else... a bit contemporary? Other stories are not involved with myths, but rather with time periods in art history. I'm not quite sure what I will do since everything is pretty much up in the air at the moment.

The second illustration I'm currently struggling with is a Victorian-ish feel. I also tend to change my mind a lot, so who knows what I'll post next ;) I hope to get onto some actual panel work with either of these stories. Obviously the panels will NOT look anywhere like this since it's way too time consuming.

Oh, I forgot to post the pencil [cleaned-up] version: http://www.art-withoutwords.com/junk/08 ... daphne.jpg.

Cuts, baby. Cuts. Music, Design, and Culture

Miliucc

Post by Miliucc » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:07 pm

its beautiful

Clio

Post by Clio » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:06 am

That's insaaaaaaaaane..... though, where's her other leg? I love the wrist - what a nice wrist.
- Clio

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:16 am

Clio wrote:That's insaaaaaaaaane..... though, where's her other leg? I love the wrist - what a nice wrist.
Thanks!

Her other leg? I don't think you can tell, but in actual size you can see a part of her leg underneath her drapes blending into the bark.

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:17 am

Miliucc wrote:its beautiful
thanks

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:22 pm

Very nice! I would suggest adding shadows cast by her arm, breast, and clothing though. It will give the image more weight, methinks.

newstreamer

Post by newstreamer » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:35 pm

Kazu wrote:Very nice! I would suggest adding shadows cast by her arm, breast, and clothing though. It will give the image more weight, methinks.
Thanks for the feedback! I will take that into consideration before I update the image on my website.

Dek

Post by Dek » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:39 pm

I like it! It's got a nice feel to it - very "earthy", if you don't mind the pun.

As for a suggestion - thinking about what Clio said, I can't really find the leg either. Perhaps something that shows that the leg has already become part of the tree? Like, maybe a little bit of half-leg just poking through, or maybe part of the blanket fading into the tree or leaves or moss or something. Just to move it into less of an amputee feel ;)
As well - is her right breast is a touch high? Like - the tiniest bit, barely noticable? I don't know - maybe it's just me.

Other then that, it's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

incognito

Post by incognito » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:02 pm

I'm...I'm amazed. Though I think you could get the hair to look more like its growing out of her head than just stuck on. Maybe its me.
Either way:
awesome.

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:43 pm

her arm is staying with me. it's SO pretty...lovely picture.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:23 am

Wow! Very nice. :D

EQ

Post by EQ » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:36 pm

Looks CRAZY HOT!!! damn you... jk
:D
-b

em...

Post by em... » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:55 am

It's nicely composed, the colours and feel of the piece are excellent.

However, from an anatomical perspective, it is quite lacking. If you're going to draw or paint figures in a representational way, you really need to know anatomy.

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:24 am

Cool colors man like the hand detail, but i think there are some things that could be done to make it really nic....i didnt notice she was becoming a tree...also her face is a bit flat...it almost looks like her hair is behind her head instead coming from the front leading to the back. Just a few tweaks...add some highlights and some deeper shadow areas

bigg

Post by bigg » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:59 am

cool pic. you took it a long way from where it started ( the pencils were nice but simple) you added those colors and killed it. good job.
BigG
"I twist a blitz so quick it turns to roach clips/ New nicks get picked/ oh SHIT i need another hit/ I sip Sipps while two full clips spit hollow tips/ As I raise the guns up off my hips/ Now who you fukin with?"
http://www.wesleygunn.com