My Travel Logs: SUMMER 2004

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:31 pm

Great travelogue! The photocollages are especially nice. What a trip that must've been, you jet-setter, you. I am wholly envious.

So did you get a chance to relax in a chocolate bath?

EQ

Post by EQ » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:25 pm

daaamn that is a great travel log, i was going to put up my travel log, but i doubt people want to see my trips on the L train to Manhattan everyday.
I have never even left the US i can't wait to travel... :D
-b

Clank

Post by Clank » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:41 pm

:shock: So much travelling, but so many awesome places! I wouldn't be able to handle it, even if the places were cool. You're not allowed to tell us how your travelling gets paid for? 0_o.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:24 pm

That log is nifty!

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:52 pm

hmm... I don't know if i should say nothing, or should have said it in the beginning, but I guess I'll say it now.

You know I'm a big fraud, right?

I made the Travel Logs as sort of a rebellion of the fact that I didn't travel an inch this whole summer - I think the farthest I went this whole summer was about 2 hours from my house. I can't afford it!

the photocollage is built from a collection of images from travel books, travel websites, and other people's travel logs.

I didn't do this to dupe people or anything, but rather to dupe myself, (in a way) I guess I just said to myself that since I didn't go anywhere this summer, I'll just pretend that I did. It started off as a post card campaign where I sent out postacards to friends from these places saying I was having the time of my life, but it would be postmarked in my crappy town.

It was an idea that I got after making this web page, which is more obviously fantasy.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:12 pm

I kinda got that feeling when you labeled the island of Papua New Guinea as New Zealand on the map. Neat collage work though!

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:15 pm

SERIOUSLY!? that makes my heart sink

better go and fix it.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Sweet_Baboo wrote:You know I'm a big fraud, right?
I feel so, so... dirty. But in all seriousness, those really are some cool photocollages.

And I am kicking myself for not noticing the New Zealand gaffe. :)

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:18 am

That log is still nifty!

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:24 am

"thanks*

neil

Post by neil » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:47 am

Hehe it's great... Maybe it's a comment on the inadequacy of all travelogues. I like the "I'll post more pictures when I get them developed!" part. Heheh.

Very nice Miwa!

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:00 am

hmm! I just caught on - there's a word: "travelogue", huh? I always thought it was "travel log" - which i guess is it's own thing, too.

dictionary.com says:

trav·e·logue also trav·e·log   
1. A lecture about travel, often accompanied by a film, a video, or slides.
2. A narrated film or video about travel.

and i guess what i have here is like a slide show. cool! but I don't have much of a lecture or any useful information there. I wrote the comments more like a postcard, aimed to make the reader envious.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:06 am

I normally think of travelogues as movies specifically (I just read a lot of film reviews I guess), but I think your narration counts! The postcard idea is great...

It would be interesting if it just kept going and going until the reader gradually realizes it's fake, hehe.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:00 am

You know, one's man's "fantasy" is another man's "farce"

I don't mean to fool anyone, but sometimes I do have a compulsive lier part of me. But often I simply spin out of control with my own logic that people around me just get confused. My Travel Log, at best, is a chronicle of "wouldn't that be nice" accompanied by Esquivel! and at worst a sad testament to the many hours I spent infront of my computer, meticulously lasso-ing around hundreds of minarets, stautes, etc... all to convince someone that I wasn't infront of my computer this summer.

Kean - no I didn't take a chocolate bath, (i mean, I wasn't there) but I'm pretty sure it's real because I heard a segment about it on NPR. (which inspired me to make Belgium part of the itinerary) It's a tub full of fine dark chocolate, and you soak in it for thirty minutes.

They also mentioned that the used chocolate is shipped to the US to be used for peanut M & M's, specifically.

(sorry, THAT's a lie.)