comic tones

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
marco

comic tones

Post by marco » Sat May 22, 2004 6:37 pm

Anybody know any simple ways of making a dot pattern tone (zip-a-tone) in photoshop? I went to the art store and couldn't find any of the old-fashion kind. thanks,
-marco

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat May 22, 2004 8:56 pm

I'm not sure what that is, but you can sample any color or pattern in photoshop.

Clank

Post by Clank » Sat May 22, 2004 9:38 pm

Marco, I think Enrico might now some stuff about what you're talking about... I'm not sure if you guys are talking about the same thing, though. In this post he says something about ComicStudioAqua. I don't know if that helps or not... Sorry if I wasn't helpful. :?

chuckbb

Post by chuckbb » Sun May 23, 2004 5:50 pm

there's some cdrom somewhere that has tones onit, its for manga coloring.. but i'm sure if you knew someone who had it they could just give you the files.

EQ

Post by EQ » Sun May 23, 2004 8:52 pm

it would be easier to make a swatch in illustrator for that effect, but doing it in photoshop might be tough. you could always use illustrator then export it to photoshop. never tried it though.

Jeff Wilson

Post by Jeff Wilson » Mon May 24, 2004 5:45 am

this thread on another message board might help:

http://p074.ezboard.com/fbellcartoonsco ... D=16.topic

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon May 24, 2004 10:21 am

You can Order tones here >>> http://www.dmd-sales.com/deletertones.htm
Chad Townsend

househatke

Post by househatke » Mon May 24, 2004 11:11 am

I had heard legend of such a thing. It's great to see a thread about it!

thanks Marco!

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Mon May 24, 2004 12:38 pm

I've done the convert to bitmap thing with some success. Make sure you keep your lineart separate, because it'll lose all it's nice crispness if you convert it. It takes a fair bit of fiddling with settings, but it gets some nice results.

2-layer file, line art on multiply and grays as background. Save lineart in separate file, delete lineart, convert grays to bitmap. Then turn the bitmap back to grayscale so you can paste the lineart back in and set it to multiply. The image on the left didn't separate the line art out first:

Man, these look awful onscreen! What's good for print technology is not good for digital display!
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

EQ

Post by EQ » Mon May 24, 2004 2:23 pm

actually i my boy reminded me, if you just do all the grays on one level and use a filter like mosaic or pixelate it should do the trick. or you can try the bitmap way though i have not.
-b

Dek

Post by Dek » Tue May 25, 2004 7:12 pm

Aha! First post and I'm already being helpful :D

Polykarbon's got something perfectly for this (I think!) right here:

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/halftones/tone1.htm

He's also got a link to where you can buy them...but it's more indie to Photoshop it :D

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed May 26, 2004 12:12 am

People offer this stuff for sale? That's rediculous. If you have Photoshop (which you should), the "Colour Halftone" filter under the Filter> Pixelate menu will offer you pretty much all you could need.
That last post says it pretty well, though I don't like doing it that "Levels" way. Here's a process I might use...
1) With your "Art" document open, create another big new document. Use a high resolution so that your dots will actually look like dots and not all pixelly.
2) What sort of darkness/density of dots/gradation are you looking for? Make a rectangular selection large enough to cover the area you want to use it for, then fill it with the appropriate shade of gray or gradation.
3) If you didn't create a CMYK document, use Image> Mode> CMYK Color to change to that. I suppose you could use greyscale, too.
4) Run the Colour Halftone filter.
5) Go into the "Channels" palette (it's usually next to the layers tab). Click on the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black channels and take a look at the dot patterns they've produced. If you find something you like, hold down CTRL and click the icon of the respective layer. You'll end up with a selection representing the dot pattern you're looking at.
6) Use the marquee tool (dotted rectangle selecto-tool) to drag the SELECTION into the document you want to add your dots to.
7) Fill the selection (now in your art document) with black or whatever colour you want your dots to be.
8) Scale/rotate/whatever the dots til they're behaving how you'd like. Add a mask to the layer and mask out the dots where you don't want them to be!

DONE

hope that helps.
Cheers!
Tony

ps. I think they're called "Ben-Day Dots". Or at least that's the publishing term for them. Zip-A-Tone's just a brand name, right?

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Wed May 26, 2004 7:05 am

Tony wrote:ps. I think they're called "Ben-Day Dots". Or at least that's the publishing term for them. Zip-A-Tone's just a brand name, right?
They're often called Ben-Day, but Ben-Day is (actually, was, I think) a brand name too.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

marco

Post by marco » Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 am

guys,
thanks so much for all the help!

E.J.Su

Post by E.J.Su » Wed May 26, 2004 11:15 pm

If you have Photoshop 7, I've made bunch of screentones into PS pattern. I've used it on my comic.

So if you want to save a little time, you could get the patterns HERE.
"Talent is worthless without hard work."