The Pirate Cruncher

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
duddlebug

The Pirate Cruncher

Post by duddlebug » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:44 am

I've been a member of the Flight boards, and a keen reader of the Flight anthologies, for absolutely yonks, but I've never managed to post anything....

I've not had much time for forums recently (with work, a baby and a big house move) but I was browsing the comics and illustration threads today and thought I should've posted some of my 'Pirate Cruncher' stuff here. So here it is!

'The Pirate Cruncher' is my first picture book, published by Templar in the UK. The book is based on a sample illustration I did for my portfolio afew years back called 'The Pirate Muncher'. It's also been published in the USA and Australia, and will be published in Denmark, Italy, Finland, Germany and Brazil in the coming months. After ten years working in the games industry, but yearning to work on my own stories, it's a dream come true. And the best bit is I get to dress up as a pirate and read it to kids!

I guess there'll be a few of you who've seen this before, so sorry! Maybe I'll post some WiP, which I've not posted anywhere, to relieve the repetition...

The last one is a fold down flap, with a slightly different image on the back of the flap (the bit you see when you first open the page). It's the big punchline really, before the final 'Crunch!'

I'm working on my second book, which was going to be all space, robots and laser guns but is now another pirate story, so I'll post some of the WiP in a new thread soon.......

Stick
Flight Moderator

Re: The Pirate Cruncher

Post by Stick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:27 pm

holy crap.. this is awesome!

JoshuaTheJames

Post by JoshuaTheJames » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:41 am

Woweeee I WISH the remakes and new Monkey Island looked this cool!

-Joshua

spill

Post by spill » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Very cool work with you first book!
Same goes for your website!
I hope you feel proud your book has been translated into other languages.
I am also in the process of writing and illustration a book for kids...

www.spill.com.gr

-PookeyG-

Post by -PookeyG- » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:32 pm

This makes me crap myself with both joy and jealousy. A new standard has been set. I shall strive to someday be a fraction as good as you are!
Blog/Portfolio--- www.FireLightsMedia.com
My comics--- www.FunnyThingComic.com

docmanic

Post by docmanic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Man, that is some spankin' artwork!

derick brooks

Post by derick brooks » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm

This stuff is great man. Nice colors
This message has been brought to you by the letter D
http;//www.derickbrooks.blogspot.com

Arrow

Post by Arrow » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Amazing!

Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey Jonny!
These look great. I really like how you have polished your loose concept art style into these illustrations.
Glad to see that you have managed to move further in the direction you want to go! Are amazon in the UK selling your books? Or can I get a copy somewhere else?

Mikael (Warthog :) )

parka

Post by parka » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:06 am

duddlebug, these are brilliant.
You have a website or blog?

kennethhunter

Post by kennethhunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:43 pm

oh my, these paintings are beautiful. Parka, what up! love the work you do parka.

Jambi

Post by Jambi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Wow. Just gorgeous stuff. Thanks for posting.

helldozer

Post by helldozer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:46 am

Beautiful style, I love the colors and textures. :)

duddlebug

Post by duddlebug » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 am

Hey, thanks for all the lovely comments! They're much appreciated! And sorry it's taken me a little while to come back, stuff's been busy before and after Christmas!

So again, a BIG thanks for all the comments! And I thought I'd better answer a few questions...

Joshua, I've never played Monkey Island, but a few people have made mention of it when i how them my book. I should check them out!

Spill, yup, I'm very chuffed to see my book in different languages. It's kinda weird to think that a kid in Sao Paulo could be reading this silly book at bedtime! Good luck with your book... It always takes longer to get it all together than you think... :)

Hi Mikael! It's been a looooong time! I hope you're well and life's treating you good! Amazon Uk are selling my book, although the paperback is showing as 'not available' at the moment. It'll be back soon, there's a reprint on the way from China! Also available on US Amazon (as a hardback) and it's in a few languages now including Finnish, Danish, German, Italian and Brazilian, so it'll be available in those countires online. Weird.

Hi Parka! I just wanted to say thanks for your terrific blog! As a self-confessed art book addict, I've used it a few times to help make a buying decision, and try to follow your links when I remember! :) I do have a website (http://www.duddlebug.com) and a blog (jonnyduddle.blogpost.com), although I don't update either as often as I should....

And for anyone who's interested, I'm working on a new book at the moment, which is due to get published in the UK towards the end of this year. More pirates, I'm afraid. I'll create a new thread soon, and post some WiP.

Thanks again!