Animated Webisodes

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
k-9lives

Animated Webisodes

Post by k-9lives » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 am

I've just finished episode 3 of my online animated series. Hoping to compile these into an 8-12 minute shortfilm which I'll then submit to festivals. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

http://vimeo.com/10576807

Og

Re: Animated Webisodes

Post by Og » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 am

I see what you're trying to do, and you get points for trying. As you're asking for feedback, I'll offer you some.

The film at that link seems to be missing a bit of polish. I could be wrong, but I have a hard time seeing work of this caliber in an animation festival, so if that's your goal, I would go back to the drawing board for a bit, work on your character design, your animation, your production values.

I know how hard it is - you want something simple, easy to produce, but you also want it to be good enough for the festivals. It's a hard balance to strike, but I would point you to Simon's Cat. This is very simple, very limited animation. It's even in black and white. But look at it. Do you see the difference? There's a charm, a grace, a polish in these little animations that I think you could learn from. If you have a good eye and want to improve, I'm sure you'll see your way to your goal.

I look forward to watching your progress!
ImageImage

k-9lives

Post by k-9lives » Wed May 05, 2010 6:02 am

Thanks for the feedback Og... I know Simon's Cat and it is an incredible series I agree.

Your points are all valid and I could definitely improve by working on the areas you mention. I think that I prefer to get things done and out there, improve as I go rather than keeping it on hold until it's perfect. That's just the way I am. Ok I won't get a million views on youtube but by creating something finished within my limitations it's helping me to improve much quicker than if waited till it was perfect. Hopefully the next film will be a step closer to perfection!

I am struggling in general with my feelings towards this series. If I was to defend my films though, I would say that we are trying to do very different things. Simon's Cat tends to be one static camera and situational comedy. I am trying to do some interesting things with direction and cinematography.

I don't know about production values, I deliberately went for the hand drawn, visible contruction lines look because I like to see that sort of thing. I could definitely improve the animation but I don't think it needs to be 24fps. I was looking at things like Rocky and Bullwinkle and Bill Plympton for inspiration and I love the roughness and honesty of the work. But at the end of the day yes I compromised quality in order to be able to create something.

I think film festivals would program stuff like this (A few already have) TV would need more polish but I think festivals appreciate a handmade, lo-fi quality to animation. In fact another of my influences was British kids TV shows from the 70's like roobarb and custard. Some of that was pretty lo-fi for TV!

I hope you don't think I'm making excuses for your feedback. I am definitely thinking about this stuff all the time and you are probably spot on. I just wanted to elaborate on my thought processes behind my decisions.

Og

Post by Og » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 am

Well, yes - that's the other way. Leave it as it is and learn as you go. That's valid.

Just remember, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. I feel it's best to lead with your absolute best, because your name becomes synonymous with the quality you produce, and nothing represents you more than your own work. Proceed at your pleasure and peril.

Via con dios, mi amigo!
ImageImage