Overcoming the Digital Artist Toddler stage

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Arrow

Re: Overcoming the Digital Artist Toddler stage

Post by Arrow » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:17 pm

nice progress! really like the planets!

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:43 pm

I had wanted to do 30 Days of Exobiology ever since I first came up with the idea for my 30 Days series, and I finally felt like my skills were just barely inadequate for the task. Ultimately it took me three months to complete the project, in part because each piece was so technically involved. A few of the pieces I tried to do exclusively in Photoshop, but most of them (particularly the best ones) started with a pencil sketch. Having looked at other people’s WIP files I feel like my best pieces look like what a pro might call 75% done. What am I missing to get that last 25%?

Filter Feeder

The Walking Isles

Repose

Fishpedo

Hail the Snail

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:04 am

Another 30 Days Series, 30 Days of Abstraction. At least it started as 30 Days of Abstraction, but it turned into "30 Days of Whatever the Heck I Want." Each piece was pretty quick, usually not more than an hour or two to put together, but I apply some better techniques, if a bit clumsily.

Opposing Forces

Figure in the Fog

The Canny Valley

In-Cave

My Favorite Pallet

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:09 pm

I've just finished 30 Days of Robots. I'm really proud of some of this work (as compared to a lot of my previous work, not necessarily when held up against anybody else around here). It show another vast leap in technique, and an enormous improvement over my previous childish, clunky, cell-shady stuff.

Comments and criticism is what I'm after, so lay it on.

Self-Assembly Required

Urban Pacification Drone

Playing for Spare Charge

Capacity Crab

Arclight Archangel

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:45 am

30 Days of Environments has just ended. As I anticipated it wasn't quite as good as 30 Days of Robots, but there are some decent ones in there. I'm showing some good technique again, but I just don't seem to be able to make it happen consistently. Here's the top five, comments encouraged:

Silent Worlds

Chariot of the Ancestors

Scrubland

Work Environment

Secluded Source

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:16 pm

I made it. Despite a week of homelessness, moving across five time zones from Michigan to Hawaii, setting up a new apartment, spending all of yesterday at the DMV buying a car, and having my internet connection cut for three days, 30 Days of Characters was still completed on time. I'm quite pleased with the results, and once again the skills improvement has been significant. Unfortunately I don't know how long it will be before I can get back to my artwork, because I've finally landed a paying gig with all of my new skills. I'm going to be doing web development for a small engineering firm. There will still be plenty of travel pictures on my website (https://www.grandwanderer.com) so feel free to check back in from time to time.

Last Man Standing

Day Dreamer

Water Bearer

Silent Solo

Shredding Shark