New Illustrator, Help Needed

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Eckleberg

New Illustrator, Help Needed

Post by Eckleberg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:54 am

Hello!

I have been looking around for a place to help me improve my work and I came across this lovely place. I have just finished my degree (in Puppetry!) and am working as an Art Director for a journal, but am desperate to get into illustration as well. I was hoping that I could get some constructive criticisim, and advice, or at least enjoy myself. My blog is at:

http://garethmartinillustration.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by Eckleberg on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyk

Re: Illustration Work, Help Needed

Post by flyk » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:45 am

I think the work is very well-done and beautiful...nice job~ I've subscribed to your blog (just so you know~!) it's lovely~

Hyperion

Re: New Illustrator, Help Needed

Post by Hyperion » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:17 am

You have some great stuff good job
really really witty quote

Eckleberg

Post by Eckleberg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:18 am

Thankyou. I would like to develop my work further, is ther any critcism you can give me?

yoodle

Post by yoodle » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Wow, I love your style a lot. I'm sorry i don't feel qualified to add any criticism, though :(

Hyperion

Post by Hyperion » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

I guess the only thing I can say is try something new. You have a very distinct style that you have down, now go for a different medium, or try for more realism or less realism. The stuff you have on your blog is of professional caliber for that style, so now if you want to grow your going to need to go outside of yourself.
really really witty quote

Disa

Post by Disa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:58 am

Agreed with Hyperion, your style is great, you're nailing it, but the your human figures are showing a little bit of insecurity. Like in this one: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_g4XGGysLiE8/S ... market.jpg they are a little stiff in posture. Also I'd say it's a little funky looking with how the trolly is placed on the ground, almost looks like it would be standing ON his shoe, except the tip of his shoe disappeared mysteriously? I understand you were making a white outline to separete the shoe from the wheel, and also in his shirt, but I don't think it's needed here and it's just confusing me. Also, if you want him to be leaning on the trolly (which the arms indicate, but I'm not sure), his back would probably be arched. Last thing: Draw out the hands! The stumps look amputated.
Hope this helps a little, and anyway, keep working, I really like the style!

Edit: Forgott to say - a degree in puppetry? Show some puppets! :D