Preliminaries, Illustrations (and other Sketches, etc)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Mr. Average

Re: Preliminaries, Illustrations (and other Sketches, etc)

Post by Mr. Average » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Well, my oldest drawings above seem to have fallen victim to the demise of Geocities. I'll go through and rebuild the links eventually.

For now, I've been working pretty intensely just on producing pages for my current comic, 6-Commando, but I also have been working up a significant bit of sketch material as well, so I thought I'd start posting some of it here, for people's edification. Eventually I'm going to set up an "sketchbook" at the 6-Command website where all of this stuff will go, but for now, here's one I did a few days ago on my lunch break, an "Al-Samoud" ("Steadfastness") Class powered armor suit from the Arab League.

Whoever of you actually are following the story of 6-Commando may be wondering why I drew a battlesuit from the Arab League. Well, keep following along, and you'll see!

There's more stuff to come!

--M
Image Image

Jimbo68

Post by Jimbo68 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Nothing 'average' about your work! Great sketches and images.
Keep 'em coming.

Jimbo68
www.artworkbysayer.com

Arrow

Post by Arrow » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Nice sketches, keep em coming!

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Went to post some doodles and was surprised to see this threat at the top of the heap today! Jimbo, Arrow: thanks for the look, and the kind remarks! I'm glad you dig it!

And though my "main projects" are serious and fairly gritty stories, I have one on the backburner that's a little bit lighter, and probably has a more young-adult aim to it. It's space science fiction, and I've been developing an array of alien races for this purpose. Many never make it off the post-it pad, but here are three that did:

ImageImageImage

To the left is a Brill Naval Officer. The Brill Confederation is a thalassocratic democracy, with the government dominated by the interests of their star fleet's officers and crew. They like to think of themselves as a "warrior race," but in reality, Humans have fought far more wars than the Brill. They are particularly fascinated by human war games, such as chess, checkers and go, and have begun to play rugby, baseball and American football, which they believe teach much about tactics and military strategy.

In the middle is a Ssirakassi Merchant. The Ssirakassi Consortium is a customs union run by their race's most powerful Zaibatsu: commercial, financial and industrial combines. They have a strong sense of personal honor and hold fraud to be the highest possible crime. As a result, they are considered the most trustworthy bankers, merchants and traders. Most commercial transactions involve a Ssirakassi Zaibatsu at some point or other.

And to the right is a Sylmarri Aristocrat. The Sylmarri are consummate politicians and orators, and the Sylmarri Conclave is the expression of this tendency. Their race is devoted to forms, laws and traditions that go back thousands of generations, and they claim that their race has never fought a war. They speak a number of very complex languages that are nearly impossible for non-Sylmarri to learn, but which many races, including Humans, find inexplicably beautiful to listen to.

--M
Image Image

Jimbo68

Post by Jimbo68 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Mr. Average,

Just curious, why can't I/we see the original image of this post, the preliminary cover?

Thanks,
Jimbo68
www.artworkbysayer.com

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:08 am

Jimbo: my earliest posts were in an old Geocities account, which has since been wiped (when Geocities went kaput last year). Now that I have an actual website, I'm rebuilding the links from there. The preliminary cover for Hotel Metropolitan has been repaired, above.

And I'm glad you dig my blog, too! Always nice to know I'm entertaining a few people now and then! Thanks!

--M
Image Image

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Couple of sketches for a collaboration I've been asked to work on by a friend of mine. As it's only in the advanced planning stages and will in all likelihood fizzle out, I don't have any problem posting a few here. These are three different takes on the same character - goes to show you how dramatically an interpretation can vary from one day to the next! I'm trying to find the "voice" of this storyline, and it's a bit tough, since the other half is on the other end of the continent and we have to work by email.

I'd be interested in opinion/critique/whatever.

--M
Image Image

Jimbo68

Post by Jimbo68 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:09 am

I like the third guy best. The first two have real long cloaks that would seem to get in the way and hamper mobility. But since I'm not sure about the character's back story, perhaps a cloak could work. I dig the helmet on #3 also. Makes me wonder if the guy is blind in one eye, his left. The mouth looks a bit somber for someone wielding dual weapons. Thanks for sharing.

Lastly, how do we share/post our images, I tried once but it said something about not having permission. Any help would be appreciated.

Jimbo68
www.artworkbysayer

Jimbo68

Post by Jimbo68 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:11 am

One other thought...
Many of your sketches are on graph paper. How do you deal with the lines if and when you scan these drawings? Or, do you simply re-draw them prior to scanning? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Jimbo68
www.artworkbysayer.com

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks for the look, Jimbo! I agree that the third guy is the strongest, but he's still getting the thumbs-down from the writer. Meeting expectations is a hard thing to do. And actually, he's not a unique character but one of a group, so it's kind of a uniform of sorts. I like his Techno-Nazi look - very threatening. But still not what the writer is looking for, so he'll just go to cold storage against future need.

In answer to your query, they're on graph paper mainly because that's what I have available. Mostly engineering calculation pads. That, and post-it notes. And my notebook has quadrilles in it as well, because I take engineering notes and dimensions in it fairly frequently. So I doodle on these when I have free moments. When I scan, I just scan them, quadrilles and all. If I were to do a formal drawing, I would do it on bristol paper and ink it, then shrink it down. These are just sloppy hackwork to get my ideas down on paper before I forget them.

--M
Image Image