Willenham

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Vear

Willenham

Post by Vear » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Here's a Progression on one illustration I'm working on for a personal project of mine called "Willenham" The illustration is getting closer to done, but it's still very much a work in progress. My art director/buddy at work looked at it and gave me a few crits today, so I'm working on those, but I'd really love some more. anything you guys have got. please please please critique!
I'll probably use this thread to post more work pertinent to this project as I want to actually start hammering out the illustrations for it. I'm not sure though what I want to do with the story yet, I'm leaning towards graphic novel/comic. But I'm still not sure, I just want to start getting the pictures out of my head.

Blom

Post by Blom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:34 am

I like it! :D And it is nice to see your work-in-progress. A good way to find out more about the story that is spinning in your head is to find one more image to paint out. I hope you continue, I think it will be fun! 8)
Tor Harald Blom

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 pm

My two cents: Stop outlining everything.

It's funny, the cartoons on your blog aren't outlined, but your more "realistic" work is. What's up with that?

Vear

Post by Vear » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks for the comments Blom and Nate. Well I suppose I don't like the way alot of my painterly stuff looks without outlines, but also alot of my other works before this are supposed to be a more Nouveau style... hence their heavy outlines. I'm not too good at this kind of painting nor do I really have any traditional experience in oil/acrylic style painting, so I'm probably approaching it wrong from the get go. I'm trying to make each piece I do rely less and less on lines. And that transition has been drastically easier in the more vector/vexel style. When I make characters and things more shape-based it feels easier to let only the shapes and silhouettes tell the story. How would you suggest I go about rescuing this piece from outlines? I can't just turn the lines layer off then it would look silly! :)

Blom

Post by Blom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:15 pm

About using traditional style and tools. It is only good way to start and that is to jump into it and test and try what works for you. It can be nice to use acrylic if you don`t have any other place then you home. Oil colors gives a smell that you have to live with for the time it takes to dry. Watercolors can also be fun, it is what I use the most. :D

About outlines, when I try to make drawings of objects I never think outlines. I more think light and shadow. So on the light side the end line is white and on the dark side the end line is dark in the shadow color of your form. And never 2 lines on a figure. If you use photo shop it is doge and burn tools you use. ;)
Tor Harald Blom

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:39 pm

There's nothing wrong with lines, but I'd just be a little more selective -- you don't have to keep them all. For instance, the yellow thigh armor on the big guy -- you could probably lose the lines there, easy. Is the line that separates the chest armor from the neck-hole necessary? Does there need to be a white highlight line along the back of the figure or could you just darken/desaturate the flames behind him so that there is more contrast?

Just ideas. Lines are perfectly fine, but I think that the way they are being used now is flattening out form into shape. (And I suppose that could even be fine if you seemed to be trying to create flat shapes -- but that seems the opposite of your intention.)

I think you have an interesting style and I'm curious to see what you do next.

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:53 am

I'm not sure the knife is in the right place in the big guy's hand, it almost looks like it's cutting through where the meat of his thumb would be.. plus if he's seriously attacking I don't think he would lift a finger off his grip like that. I'm not really a fan of the placement of his right leg, it just sort of disappears behind the little guy with no foot, and considering the bulk of his thigh I'd imagine he'd have equally built up calf muscles. It also doesn't really suit the dynamics of the pose, or throws it off. Is he leaping at the little guy? Or trying to hold up the ceiling? I would have bent that rt leg back to show more action of jumping forward myself.
The textures are cool, but they may be a bit overdone in that everything is textured.
I do like the pose of the front guy and the final color scheme is interesting :)