Illustration

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
inverce

Illustration

Post by inverce » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:48 am

Here's a few of my most recent watercolors.
I always feel like my illustrations aren't quite finished.
Especially when I try to do digital color pieces- I get stuck and can't finish (I think I read here someone else had a similar problem!) Anyway, I'm trying to take the next step and start doing more finished work- any links,advice, or book recommends would be deeply appreciated.

http://flickr.com/photos/inverce/sets/7 ... 354756468/ :)

Jambi

Post by Jambi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 am

Maybe this isn't the advice you were looking for, but they look finished to me. What about them do you feel doesn't looked finished?

I love how you did the parasols, and I particularly love the second illustration, by the way.

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:09 pm

These are very nice.

inverce

Post by inverce » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:11 am

Thank you guys! With these watercolors I feel I've made progress. Maybe it helps that I was referencing photos. I'll try to apply this to my other work.
Here's some more:

http://flickr.com/photos/inverce/sets/7 ... 354756468/

Blom

Post by Blom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 am

This is great illustrations and I think you can call them finished. :D
I have been writing some words about how you on a digital drawing can go back and make a new finish later and kinda never say that that it is finished. I have felt that there are two types of artists the once who makes them and say, NOW I am finished with it, and the once who go back and fix things later. I think that the second group of artist more often go over to use digital tools.

It can be OK to say that it never is finished, this way the viewer has to fill in the missing parts. But if you feel that something is wrong, then look to other artists that you like and find out what makes there images look good or finished if you think they look finished.

If it is that you think that the scanned version looks not finished because something has changed in the scanning I can tell what I do. I don`t know if it will help but anyway here it is.
I paint a illustration when it is taped to a hard surface, this way it is more flat when I scan it. Also a way is to press it so it is flat when scanning. Then you get a more crisp look of the scan.
Also when it is digital I take it into photo shop and change the colors using various, I have found that the scanner eat some of the color and contrast so using various to darken the middle tones helps. It looks better. You get a boost in the colors. I think your illustrations looks good, but it might be something that you want to do to get it more like you want it to look.

About being finished with a illustration. When I have signed it and put on the date on it, I never change anything on that drawing. Have made myself that rule so that I never get stuck in a drawing that cant be saved. ;)

Book: I have used The Illusion of Life - Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston a lot.
Tor Harald Blom

Vear

Post by Vear » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:01 am

You could spend your whole life seeking "finished" and never find it. Some pieces are and remain "unfinished". But part of the nature of art I believe at least lends the viewer to finish it themselves in their own way, much the same way one might imagine the way characters in a book look and sound. I think sometimes part of the magic of art is that we finish it in our minds. We imagine the sounds the smells, the tangibility, and even the undrawn lines. This is to further say that "finished" is a less desirable goal than "communication". You'll find that your pieces feel more finished and satisfying when you consider what you're saying to people through them. Thinking about what you want to say from the beginning will also help you figure out what the finishing touches to a piece should be. At any rate the transition from traditional to digital (and back) isn't always a fluid one. I transitioned from watercolor to digital, and it took me a while. Just think of digital as a completely different medium with different rules. And know that everyone thinks their own art isn't quite finished. Leonardo da Vinci once said "Art is never finished, only abandoned". Wow... I'm rambling! forgive me. And let me say I like your stuff alot! I think I have to say that "guitar", "woman 1", and "Kaze" are seriously amazing! the colors, compositions, and overall... aesthetics are mesmerizing! keep it up!

inverce

Post by inverce » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Wow! Thank you so much Blom and Vear. Its so easy when working in a void to second guess yourself constantly- especially about something so intangible as being "finished". Its so good to get feedback and hear others' experiences!
Also I'll look for that book!