Inside Lightning McQueen

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
agent44

Inside Lightning McQueen

Post by agent44 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:52 pm

I liked Cars. I grew up in AZ and am very familiar with small towns strung along old highways. It struck a chord with me, and left a good message: Slow down, look around, and enjoy life for a moment. However, every other Pixar movie took either a living creature and anthropomorphized it (bugs, fish, monsters, rats) or in the case of Toy Story took inanimate objects and bought them to life, but did so with in the realm of our world. Cars is the only movie they’ve done where they’ve extricated the experience from our world and put it somewhere else completely. And that leads me to the one thing that didn’t sit well with me: the strange machine/flesh hybrids Pixar came up with to populate this world. It’s as if a mad scientist enamored with automobiles terraformed Mars and furnished it with cyborg vehicles with engines of steel and minds of flesh. You have these cars, but with actual fleshy eyes, with irises, and mouths of teeth and tongues. Where does the machine end and the flesh begin? So, to make everything piece together a little better in my head I drew up what I think the internal structures of Lightning McQueen might look like:
Actually, that mad scientist idea might be a good premise for Cars II. Lightning discovers that they’re all created on a whim by some wacko genius as toys for his own amusement.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:41 pm

God, that's like something straight out of one of the Dinosaur books I had growing up.. except it's Cars. :)

...But where do I get in!?

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:55 am

I disliked cars immensely though I loved the premise (and the background artwork o-o). This drawing for some reason resonates with me though because it seems like something that would be on a metal album cover, and with that in mind, seeing a cross section of lightning McQueen's organs is just amusing. Now pass me a scalpel so I can extract that annoying two dementional arrogance side from his brain.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:22 am

This has certainly got to have been one of the best things to have come from that movie. I don't think I'll be able to look at lightening McQueen the same way again!

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:27 pm

HAHA Oh god! If I showed this to my son he would just cry his little heart out. As for Cars, I can't say it's my favorite Pixar film but it's my son's absolute fav and after watching it over 100 times easily I'm actually not sick of it so I guess it's not all that bad. Seeing your child's excitement over something sometimes trumps any opinions you have whatsoever.

Great work I might add.
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

bannister

Post by bannister » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:40 am

Haha, that's awesome. Hilarious Jake. Well done.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:19 am

I felt some dissonance in trying to figure out these bizarre life-forms as well. Like, even the flies are little cars! How did this happen??

This is a nice exploration, but I would guess that his brain is much, much smaller. 8)

agent44

Post by agent44 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 am

A lot of people have said they think his brain is too big. I see it as his brain is normal human size it's just that their world is a bit of a smaller scale than ours. So this mad scientist just stuck human brains into these small car bodies and let them loose on this planet he created for them.
Seeing your child's excitement over something sometimes trumps any opinions you have whatsoever.
Dan - I totally agree. After 50 times watching cars still not sick of it, when my first couple viewings were left me feeling tepid.

campy22

Post by campy22 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:40 pm

That's awesome!

Blom

Post by Blom » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:45 am

HA HA HA! This one is both great fun and kinda scary at the same time. And I think you got the plot for the second film to. HA HA! :lol:
I think he must be in relationship with BORG from Star Trek to (that might work as a subplot.)
Tor Harald Blom

flood

Post by flood » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:33 am

wow i like this. very nice man. i like how the ngine goes right into the lower intestine...lol

also liking the way the teeth were handled. good stuff man!

Mathias

Post by Mathias » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:06 am

Abit of a late reply but I like this alot. Now I can't see that the Cars characters would look in any other way in their insides. Great stuff.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:12 am

But..waaait wait a minute, what happens when you open the doors?!
I'm my own breed of eccentric.