FDTN Underwater City Poster

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
thirdeyeh

FDTN Underwater City Poster

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:05 pm

Hey everyone-

I've been toying around some with new coloring methods and I did this with the upcoming page of From Death Til Now. For those of you who read the book you get to see the new page early 8) . I just really wanted to see what others thought of it. Thanks everyone.

Anteater

Post by Anteater » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:26 am

I'm not... really getting that feeling of hight that I suppose I should be getting.
Have you seen how things look at great distances under water? They are dim, vague. Now it feels like the "ground" is just below his feet.
But the bubbe looks very nice. Protective.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:12 am

Yes I do know what you're saying, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to get that effect of depth. I know I could go a lot darker and that would help, but I still want things to be readable too. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:53 am

I just tried something. I think its getting there.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:22 am

The darkening really helps me see the shafts of light clearer which adds to the depth, as well as the blurring of the bottom lines, so it works and I lvoe the coloring, but it seems like something's still missing. Still, it's really nice and I love the coloring...a lot!
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks Dark! I was really surprised with how easy it was to convert the grayscale image to a color one. It makes me think making the book in color might not be as far fetched as I feared.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:31 am

You've got a decent depth going there. One one to take it to the next level might be differentiate between the distant ridge and the one closest to the viewer. Either through saturation, value or blur. I'd almost say decreasing the saturation in the background and bumping it up on the bubble/man might help. Great piece though.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Thanks Scott. The saturation is definitely something I need to start thinking more about while I am coloring these things.