Storyboarding and page size Questions

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
JGrubber

Storyboarding and page size Questions

Post by JGrubber » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:22 pm

HI folks,

I have been thumbnailing a book about Samuel de Champlain (the expolrer who founded Quebec) , and I am ready to move to larger images, but I am not sure of the best approach.

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone use Quarkxpress for layouts? I have played with it to design a school yearbook and a few other projects, but is it something people use for comics/graphic novels? It is powerful, but is it appropriate?

2. I have no publisher lined up - is there a best default format (page size etc.) that I should stick to? An industry standard set of measurements?

Any thoughts?

thanks,

john

jdalton

Re: Storyboarding and page size Questions

Post by jdalton » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:39 pm

JGrubber wrote: 2. I have no publisher lined up - is there a best default format (page size etc.) that I should stick to? An industry standard set of measurements?
Depends on who ends up publishing it. Superhero books are very size-standardized (just grab a superhero book and measure it), and manga in this part of the world is somewhat standardized (though there is some variation), but as far as I know for anyone else the exact measurements don't matter. Which, considering your story, means you can probably make it any size you want.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:19 pm

1. Quark would be good to layout your book, but not the pages. That is, you should finalize your page in Photoshop (from a scan, digital, whatever) and then drop the final tif file into Quark. Quark will allow you to take all your pages and design them into a nice looking book -- that's what Quark does.

2. A friend of mine won a Xeric grant a year or two ago and published a little non-standard size comic. He said that he would have saved a lot of money if he'd stuck to the standard comic book size. Basically, there are few printers that handle comics and they have to adjust their equipment if you have a crazy format. And they charge more for that.

Well, that's what my friend said, at least. Someone here may know better.

JGrubber

Post by JGrubber » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:23 am

I was curious- if anyone knows- what are the standard sizes out there?

I like the size of Amulet and Bone- does anyone know what the technical term for that size of book is? My thumbnails actually fit close to that size, and I want to be sure of things before i get into detailed drawings etc. and have to crop things.

That being said, thanks for the tip about photoshop and quark- i think thats they way i will do things-I have worked a lot with quark, but i am a p-shop rookie, and am starting into digital colouring, but I am in this for the long haul so it will be worth it.

I think it was the flexibility of quark that i liked for picture placement. Then i did a lot more research on the page itself being a panel of panels and have done a lot more work on page staging. The reason being, when i started this project, i wasn't exactly sure where it was going- if t was going to be a story, or a series of images and their descriptions. As it is now, its somewhere between biography and historical fiction. I have Champlain's diaries for narration, plus my own additions of narration and dialogue.