Monkey, meet Butterfly

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
matthieu

Post by matthieu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:52 am

Great work ! :D

campy22

Post by campy22 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:33 am

Nice Light in this last one. It feels different in theme and look from your others.!

squirpy

Re: Monkey, meet Butterfly

Post by squirpy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks guys!

Man, I haven't posted in a while. Whenever I'm not working digitally I forget to scan and upload. But here's some roughish color for that canal village background I did a while ago.
I keep a sketchblog here

Joost

Post by Joost » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:56 am

Wow, very nice colours! Very nice illustration too!

Blom

Post by Blom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:08 am

I like this illustration to!
You got a nice form, the only thing that bothers me is if this is plausible because it looks like there is to open underneath the decking to hold the big houses up. I was just and saw a big sailing ship, and what wondered me was how big everything was made to hold the ship together. (you can see here http://www.soic.se/4.13382ddb109dc05c6d680002474.html , it did go 1000 oak trees in building this ship alone)

"Plausible imposible!" is something that you will find that always was used and spoken about by the old Disney people. So if this is a cartoon world, you can go to the extreme and just have a few beams to hold up the city or realistic where you have to get things right. Do not be afraid to be more extreme with this style you got, I think that will be cool. ;)

Did not see the shop sign at first, that is real good fun!
Tor Harald Blom

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:52 am

Thanks for the input Blom, those are some really good points! That whole city should probably be falling down - I'll add suggestions of a lot more beams and stuff under there. Also make it a bit darker I think - it looked dark in Photoshop, but out in the wild it looks kind of faded. :/

I kind of missed After Effects, so I started making an animatic for something which I'll probably never actually animate. Although maybe I'll color over all these animatic bits and make a limited animation thing. I don't know. I'll probably add a little more to this scene though. I've kind of been just building it as I go with a rough storyboard that I draw up every time I want to add new stuff.
http://vimeo.com/5742164
(can you not embed video here?)

The music is "Zoosters Breakout" by Hans Zimmer from the Madagascar soundtrack.
I keep a sketchblog here

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:25 pm

I can't believe I haven't posted since, but Comic Con was great! It was fun to meet some people, and I got a whole ton of books. I'd like to get a booth next year, a couple friends and I have talked about it.

I've been in the mood to reread the Moomin books again (I've read them so many times I can't even tell you) but unfortunately I don't have them at this apartment. So instead I'm contenting myself with drawing Moomin pictures.

I keep a sketchblog here

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:46 pm

I was walking my dog this afternoon and this is what I remember it looking like.
I keep a sketchblog here

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:48 pm

I keep a sketchblog here

Joost

Post by Joost » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 am

I like these a lot! Especially the last one, such a good atmosphere with only so few details, really good!

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:14 am

Thanks Joost!

So, you have to click on a link for this one, and it's not a sketch... I did a 15 second section of Star Wars for Star Wars Uncut ( http://www.starwarsuncut.com/ ) with some friends and our section is >>HERE<<

We made a puppet that worked for all four pilots, an xwing partially from a papercraft, partially just drawn wings, and R2D2 is my trashcan. It was pretty fun to see how it turned out. They said to try not to use the original audio, but when I made my own it didn't work. I think it's weird enough that it's good to have the original audio to ground it.
I keep a sketchblog here

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:01 am

Miss Patty out for a walk with some dogs in her dreary home town.
I keep a sketchblog here

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Just another remembered color study - this time based on a drive up near Silver Lake in norcal.
I keep a sketchblog here

Lukas

Post by Lukas » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Man I really love the painterly effect you are achieving here Squirpy. Your colour palettes are so nice. This last one really does capture the feel of looking across a distance in the evening time... it captures that hazy kind of light quality u get with distance. I wanna learn how to do digital painting like this. V inspiring... thanks.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks Lukas!

Here are some more Moomin pics. I've just been doing rough colors for story beats of Comet in Moominland.
I keep a sketchblog here