Menu cover - Finished

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:00 pm

This is coming out pretty sweet. I would work on getting those background buildings and the sky to recede in value more. That way you get more depth, the logo pops more, and right now it's looking a little bit too dark and edgy. The effects are good, but I would just lighten some of it up a bit.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Right. I almost hesitated putting this stage up because everything is just flat colored in a middle tone for everything. So the next phase is to go in and start pushing things up and down in value.

But in the spirit of showing all of the process I thought I'd post it. I don't even think the building colors are gonna stay this way, but I wanted the ability to just *plop* paint bucket and its all changed. This is the long hard part of it.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 pm

Mmm...I figured the colors would be a little more vibrant-washed out...ohh...I can't remember what the actual term is. Pastel colors maybe it is? Right now the colors are very dark and somber, which I don't think is very inviting. Just lighten the tones a little bit. I do find that the color choice is great.
Last edited by dark77778 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

RocknOats

Post by RocknOats » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 am

That came out really well! I like the style too. You're right about the colors tho. For a restaurant, it's too dark and the scene looks like they are about to have the worst thunderstorm imaginable. I'm not just breaking your stones, it's a touch frightening.
I would rip the black right out of your background and soften it up so your chef stands out, and pastel the crap out of everything. Give it a light watercolor wash rather than the heavy layers you have now. one color each, 10-20% tops. see what you think, then build from there. You can still age it and use your cool look, but give it a shot.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks guys for th encouragement and excellent crits. I expect I will have a first pass at everything done this week so I will be back with more soon.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:13 pm

This is where I have currently landed when it comes to this cover. I think it needs a few things still. I trying to go off of my mom's direction of stronger color. Just wanted to see if any of you have any thoughts or even just a pat on the back! Thanks.

Anteater

Post by Anteater » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:40 am

I would say that the colors are strong enough. What I think you should do is: Lighten up the restaurant in the background, the whole space in there, and then just darken the facades of the buildings around. I still can't figure out just what time of day this is supposed to be but anyway...
Allow me:
You see? Nice and glowy. Something like that.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:23 am

I agree that that is a much better looking appearance for the dinner scene in the background. Thanks. I'll give a it a whirl.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 am

Here is a really simple trick I used to give it some depth. I just painted a layer of midtone gray over everything but the chef and the logo, used a color layer on it and dropped to about 69%

Right now you have whites in there in the background that are just as white as the chef and that shouldn't be.

Just an idea.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:05 am

Oooo, Josh, neat trick. I like it.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:07 am

I'll tell you. I like it too. But I know that my parents are pushing for more color. So I don't think they'll go for it. I'm gonna show it to them though and see.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:21 pm

The drawing looks really nice, Michael. Just so you know, that green won't print like that. That's exclusively in the RGB range, so when it prints in CMYK it will be noticeably darker, and more olive. As shown:

I actually like the colors a little more neutral, though, so I like the olive green better. It's also more appetizing. For future ref, I recommend working in CMYK just so you stay in range and get a better idea of what the final product will look like.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:43 pm

ooosssshhhh big mistake on my end with that doing it in RGB... I just tried switching it over to CMYK on the main file and it changed quite a bit. Thanks Kazu for the compliment and the demonstration. I shall now always work in CMYK for my own sanity. LOL. But thanks to everyone for their demos on the work. I really like the more neutral look as well. I think its more subtle and does not distract. I'm interested to hear from my parents on what they think.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Here's the one they finally decided on:

We went back and forth a lot on color and finally I had to have my mother come over and just work with me on it. I think overall it came out nice.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Djaxx

Post by Djaxx » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:31 am

sweet! looks good.