Fagins' Lot (completed)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
hethe

Fagins' Lot (completed)

Post by hethe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:53 am

I'm calling it done now. Progress below.

*old post below*

A few coworkers and a friend from outside of work and I started an illustration challenge together around the them 'Away we go'. Here's what I've got so far:

First step, I listened to some music to get inspiration, just letting the theme run through my head as I listened and viola, an image popped into my head. When I went to draw it later it didn't come out quite like I had originally envisioned. I spent time experimenting and redrawing things, letting the illustration form organically.

The next night I took a look at where it was and now that I had my basic image I tackled composition and continued to work on the characters. When I got this I was pretty pleased with the flow of the image and was ready to flesh out the characters next time I sat down to it.

So in between I ran it by my wife and she looked at it for a sec and then was like, "what if they were kids? Right now it's boring to me." I mulled it over and decided to go with it. As I worked this out the story of Oliver Twist popped into my head and I decided to keep the top guy a grownup and call him Fagin and the kids are his gang of hooligans. I call the piece now 'Fagin's Lot'. Their flag is an homage to Lord of the Flies. While I liked the story it now had I felt that I'd broken the composition with the new figures. Oh well, next time I'd work on that.

So last night I tackled fixing the composition and bringing more character into it. This is where it stands as of now. I've got to tweak the position of things still and redraw the flag. The pig emblem will be back later.

Last edited by hethe on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
create a reality of the same intensity."
-Giacometti

patdzon

Post by patdzon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 am

The characters are so well drawn....ACK!!! More practice for me! :)

Seriously, though...How do you manage to add variety to your characters? Any advice when it comes to character design?

Thanks, man. Really great work.

JoshuaTheJames

Post by JoshuaTheJames » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:30 am

Great drawings!

-JtJ

hethe

Post by hethe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:45 am

Some progress. I'm not feeling confident in this yet. Might need to rethink my latest work on it.

-Giacometti

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Do you find that people are constantly telling you that you draw really f*king well? Because you do.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this piece finished--it still feels like it has a long way to go but so far... wow.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

elara

Post by elara » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:34 pm

I love your lines..very awesome.
~~ Elara

roma

Post by roma » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Nice work! I like how this is turning out. However, there is something off with the tank to me. Or it just might be that its still in sketch form.

hethe

Post by hethe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:22 am

Thanks guys. Frank, I think you're confused. It's you who draw well. Your drawings have been an inspiration to me since Shelly first showed me. Roma, any idea what specifically might be bothering you?

I spent some time last night working on this again. I need to mull over the three options below before I move forward. Not sure how I feel yet ...

-Giacometti

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:25 am

Frank Stockton wrote:Do you find that people are constantly telling you that you draw really f*king well? Because you do.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this piece finished--it still feels like it has a long way to go but so far... wow.
My thoughts exactly.

I think the one thing that's throwing me off a bit is the tank's cannon - the angle looks a little off.

But even so, this is pretty brilliant, guy. :D
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

hethe

Post by hethe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:59 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm calling this done now. Critique are welcome.
-Giacometti

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:29 am

hey dude,

My opinion is first of all that this is awesome. I love your drawing skills and the acting of the characters is quite good. Also, I love the dynamic composition of values you've got going on.

My main critique of the piece is that you have modeled form all over, and what that gives the effect of is to flatten out the rest of the piece where you want it to pop. I would have probably made the clouds much more graphic and the tank more simple in modeling and that way the characters would feel really 3d. Or another way to do it would be to push the shadows all the way to black, so that the modeling on the light side of the form would really pop.

Great piece and please put up another one soon; you're awesome.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:31 pm

just wow. I loved that final piece!

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:52 am

see above reply.
this is a great piece!
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:09 am

Damn! The finished piece is absolutely awesome~!
See my stuff here:
http://www.mattspangler.com

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:32 am

This is such a solid piece and you've got such a strong grasp of form and mass in your figure drawings. A Bridgeman fan are you?.
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.