Les Filles

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
ceydran

Les Filles

Post by ceydran » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:19 pm

I started doing a series of watercolor illustrations I'm just calling Les Filles (the girls). Figured that'd be a good way to start posting. Usually I spend my time working on animation artwork, but I am heavily influenced by Edward Gory and Tim Burton and love working in that kind of style. Any critiques for future illustrations are very welcome!

Full-size versions can be seen on my blog: here.

campy22

Post by campy22 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:55 pm

oooops...
I wrote this in French thinking you were French!
Sorry.
I was saying, this is pretty cute..and that all your girls seem to be suspended a few inches above the ground. Is this intentional?

That said...I went to your site and took a look at your demo reel.
You have some great skills as an animator. Very nice performance animation on your hellboy and your cube tests. I thought the woman looked drunken though, and , unless you want it to be perceived that way, I'd take her off your reel.

I also noticed your character designs at the very end. These look really good, and your life drawings show some promising skills. I think you should push these and show us some more work.

Good job all around!

lynnticular

Post by lynnticular » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 am

Hey my good friend! :D Glad to see that you got your e-mail! I really like these ones - did you watercolor them? Very cool.

ceydran

Post by ceydran » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:37 pm

campy22 - thanks for all the nice comments on my work, les filles and animation. i definitely am going to be taking out the woman walk cycle from my reel (you're the 3rd person to think it stands out in a bad way) she's a blind-folded cultist walking barefoot through louisiana swamps... kinda hard to watch that out of context. and the girls do look a bit like they're floating - it's just the way i was drawing them for style. and also, i wish i could speak fluent french - instead of only a bit and not very well!

vanessa - yup i finally got my email haha. these are all watercolor - so much fun to paint!

ceydran

monty python and the holy grail...ish

Post by ceydran » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:42 am

okay, so in getting ready for wondercon this week i'm working on a bunch of new character designs... i did a bunch of tiny sketches inspired by monty python and the holy grail, so here's what i ended up coming up with. sort of a mix of how they really were and just my imagination. i'm still playing with the colors a bit, so any suggestions are welcome!

also, i'm still working on the other three (king arthur, sir robin and patsy) so i'll post them soon!

Anteater

Post by Anteater » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:57 pm

You'll probably hate to hear it but I liked your watercolors better. In fact watercolor is the ultimate fast coloring tecnique, and even a 30 second watercoloring can make a drawing look really good.

ceydran

Post by ceydran » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:27 pm

anteater - i don't know why i'd hate to hear that you liked my watercolors better - unless you think they're bad haha. either way i do love watercolor (obviously) but i'm working on these character designs for a different style and for animation. i love watercolor for illustrations - it's what i prefer to use, so i understand why you mention it.

anyhoo i'm posting all the characters now that i have them all finished! next is a props page...

ceydran

Post by ceydran » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:02 pm

and finally the props page.....

campy22

Post by campy22 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am

AH!
I like these a lot actually!