the mini reaper tries to draw

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Ajahli

the mini reaper tries to draw

Post by Ajahli » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm actually nervous to post things here since I'm usually a lurker but... here's to me stepping out of the shadows and sharing some stuffs.

Crits welcome! Questions and discussion particularly welcome (and needed)

A recent ID for my portfolio website

A gift for someone and an entry to a V-day contest at MCAD

Some sketches and stuff.

END.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm

question: why the gray background on the first one?

also, other stuff looks pretty strong. composition on the 2nd one is a bit busy, you could make it have more of a romantic atmosphere. Are they supposed to be at home or at a fancy restaurant? I read the word bubbles out of order as well.

You don't have to be a lurker.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Ajahli

Post by Ajahli » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:16 pm

Gray because I wanted it to blend in with my website background and they are supposed to be at home.

yeeeah the word bubbles... maybe reordering them and just having the tails go towards the speaker may fix that? O:

Og

Post by Og » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:12 am

Yup, I read the word bubbles out of order, too. Most English readers read left to right and top to bottom, no matter what the Manga guys tellya. :twisted: You want Drac to speak first, put his bubble up top, and put Wolfie's response below that and you should be fine.

Excellent design in your final sketch there. I'm getting a whiff of Avatar, but I like it.
ImageImage

Ajahli

Post by Ajahli » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 am

Ahaha, yeah I don't know.... the right to left thing is just something automatic. Maybe it is from reading so much manga when I was younger? Who knows.

I'm flattered to know the last sketch has an Avatar-feel to it. Is it the style of dress? I'm more Tenchi/Zelda influenced when it comes to costume designs but lately I've been getting back into Avatar so the influence leaks through a little bit.

Here's the revised Dracula with the word bubbles moved. Is this working better?

Og

Post by Og » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:56 am

re: revised word bubble order - that's the stuff. At least there's no doubt who's speaking first.

re: Avatar - I dunno. It's the eyes. It's the line, the overall proportion and sense of shape. It's the ornamentation to a degree, as well, and the unusual hair design (think of the strange places braids show up in Avatar). Zelda is so stylized to me these days that I'm not picking that influence up as much. It may well be the thing that's informing your design, but Avatar is very much in evidence, too.

Forgot to mention, excellent accent on Drac in the first piece. Underuear - classic!
ImageImage

Anteater

Post by Anteater » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:45 pm

I think you could have kept the word baloons, when I saw the style, my reading just automatically switched to manga-mode. Didn't even notice it. Eh whatever.

About the avatar, lotsa bloodstains on the baseball bat and the shirt, but not a drop on the arms?

I think it would look better if the wing(s?) hung a little bit lower down the back.

Feet? If you just saw the feet you would think that the shot is taken 45° from above. But if you look at the shoulders, I'd rather say that the camera was at waist hight. But then again there's the hands where I'd say 20° from above.
Yeah, I know angles are hard, I'm still working on it myself.

And I think the bat should be tilted to one shoulder. Holding it centered like that will take all the force out of any blow.

But overall very good. You really manage to keep to the essentials. I can't quite say that about myself.
There's the saying you know- K.I.S.S- Keep It Simple, Stupid. I'm gonna tatoo that cross my forehead some day.

james ramos

Post by james ramos » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:11 pm

hey ajahli ,

These are good and fun pieces. As Frank Stockton said, you dont have to be a lurker.

Your stuff is enjoyable so share it. Plus as you see you'll get some good feed back so it'll help you grow. LOL I should speak for myself!!!

Anyway, the only thing that stood out to me was the feet size in your characters. I don't think its necessarily the angle as anteater put it, because I noticed it in your sketches too. Thats about it. Keep at it and posting.
Peace,
James

Ajahli

Post by Ajahli » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:28 pm

james ramos wrote:hey ajahli ,

These are good and fun pieces. As Frank Stockton said, you dont have to be a lurker.

Your stuff is enjoyable so share it. Plus as you see you'll get some good feed back so it'll help you grow. LOL I should speak for myself!!!

Anyway, the only thing that stood out to me was the feet size in your characters. I don't think its necessarily the angle as anteater put it, because I noticed it in your sketches too. Thats about it. Keep at it and posting.
Peace,
James
Hmm yeah you're quite right, I've always had problems with feet... I really hate drawing them but I've been practicing since you guys said that!

I'll try not to lurk on here as much...

so I guess I'll just post something I did recently... I'm really shy to post on others posts because I'm afraid my advice would be inadequate x3;; Everyone else seems to have more interesting things to say...

anyway.. this is from my webcomic, Grim Reaper School

Anteater

Post by Anteater » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Nice to see some more of your stuff out here.
The old scool-photo nightmare. I dont know what i hated the most, the procedure, the photagropher himself or the photo. OT! I know!

Watch out for the montage trap, it can easily look very... cheap. But you pulled it of this time.

And dont be afraid to comment other peoples stuff. The whole idea of the art forum is based on that people do not hold their opinions back.

"The woods would be awfully silent is no birds sang but those that believed that they sang the best"

Ajahli

Post by Ajahli » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:55 pm

lol thanks

I just put them together for easy posting *shrug* they'll be posted individually on the website

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:05 pm

The only thing that really jumps out about your feet is that they're really small proportionally. So why do you carry a bat? :)

Ajahli

Post by Ajahli » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:20 pm

To keep away the zombies ;)

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Nice stuff... I really like the illustration with the picture frames.