Superhero sketches

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Threshold

Superhero sketches

Post by Threshold » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:00 pm

I have these in my Moleskine - I've not posted much in a while, but I'm still drawing. I have a painting class now that takes up a lot of time, but I figured I'd dump these while I have the time.

Oh, by the way - has anyone noticed that anatomy issues always seem to pop out more when the drawing's been scanned? I've been flipping drawings upside down for years, but there's something about a computer screen that makes me notice "that head's too big," so much faster.

metaleaf

Post by metaleaf » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I think it might be just seeing the image in a different context that does it. Although sometimes scanners do actually distort artwork. Mine scrunches everything down vertically by slightly less than half a millimeter every time I scan something in . . . invisible to everyone but me but it subconsciously bugged the hell out of me until I realized what was happening and did some print-rescan trials :P

I like the Daredevil one, cool pose.

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:13 pm

Half a millimeter? :shock: that's not even a remotely perceptible difference!
I think you're right about context. There's just no other way to account for it.

I may be painting some of these later.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 am

in addition to context...

I bet you're drawing on a flat table. You're drawing the picture in perspective rather than being right on top of it and seeing it totally perpendicular to your eyes. I've noticed this with my own stuff before in the past.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Ah. Good call. Drawing at the desk. My secret to surviving six art history lectures a week. Well, I guess I just keep flipping the page and looking at it from farther away.