Factory Rubble

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
dan

Factory Rubble

Post by dan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:19 am

new travel drawing, enjoy. ;)

dan

campy22

Post by campy22 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:39 am

Busy busy!
(^_^)

It's SO hard to do a readable busy environment, especially when it is busy with junk. You did a pretty good job at it!
I would recommend though, as a test, to play with the thickness of your lines, and to try to think about how the reader is going to take in the image. What is he going to look at first, where do you want him to look, what is the impact you want this image to have. It will help you with your lighting and coloring .

Great job though, this is a tough one to do, and you did it well!

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:03 am

Yeah, i had a pretty good feeling going into this, although, i think i got a little lost along the way in terms of the execution. :-/

I agree, i think some varied line weight would definetly help this drawing out, I think i might come back to it a little later and make some bolder lines in the composition. Thanks for the crit! :D

edit: I bumped up the lineweight in front, but i found that there is just too much information to do it anywhere else. I suppose this one is just a lost cause. :D

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 am

It might not hurt to try toning down the saturation and lightening the value as you recede toward the back wall. I think part of the reason things get a bit lost in the middle is they seem to be similar values.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Scott~ I can't tell you how much your post meant to me. I've been painting a lot recently and I never get to the point where I'm happy with anything that I made and your comment about saturation put it all back together for me.

I went back and looked at my work that i DID like and that was the key, i was using a lot of subdued desaturated tones with the bright lighting. Thanks so much for your honesty! I don't think I would have figured this out on my own!

I've updated the image, I'm MUCH more pleased with it now! Thanks again!

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm

I have to say that reads a lot better. You've got quite a bit going on still, no doubt about that, but I think it's a bit easier to make it all out.

Glad I could help, although I can't claim to be an expert. I'm still working out all these things myself. Love your stuff by the way.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:04 am

Yeah, the goal on this one was to see how much stuff I could have going on without losing the entire composition. I think this one sort of dances the razor's edge and if it wasn't for the advice of the varying in saturation and line weight, I probably would've become frustrated and lost this one. Thanks again guys!

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I like this... I like this a lot! Of course I'm partial to urban decay anyway, but I do think this is nicely done. I also rather like the vivid colors. It puts me in mind of the way colors change due to environmental change -- like the weird wag grass looks as a thunderstorm rolls... Not sure if that's what you were shooting for, but it is nice composition.