Needing Critique, badly!

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Garkudion

Needing Critique, badly!

Post by Garkudion » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:28 pm

So! I've been working hard and went from this:

To this:

The people at Concept art.com and 4chan have really helped me, but I really want to get much better. There is so much more wrong with my artwork. Would anyone care to help?

Anteater

Post by Anteater » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:04 am

Ok, here we go.

I think you have an excellent "cross-motive" technique (<-have I learned to spell that damned word yet?) that I really think you should develop further. I makes the images describe a theme rather than an object.
What I think your images lack is a bit of space. Since every square inch is packed with detail and interesting little doodles the eye can't really focus on any part, but is sent bouncing around. If you just kept the images as they are, but added some surroundings, just letting things stretch on out, your pictures would be easier to watch and take in.
In nr.2 & 4 I think you could have made the darkest parts of the darkest parts really dark. I can see that you intend to do so, but you need to be a bit more agressive. Some ink in nr.4 would really help to get that bottomless feeling of the water.
Last edited by Anteater on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Channelling my Art Teacher Gandpa here... I think you have the rendering thing down. Your pieces are really shaded and detailed. And you seem to have a grasp on anatomy, but, and really any artist of any skill level can only improve by doing this, I'm not singling you out.... you might think about doing some life drawing. Not finished, rendered pieces but just sketches to get movement and foreshadowing down to a science. The lady in the water is nice, but I think you could give her a bit more perspective and make her pose more interesting in doing so... This is a big issue for me also, I try to do poses and quick sketches in my free time. It does help a little. Your work is really quite nice. Keep it up!

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:50 pm

work on simplifying your anatomy and backing off on the muscles.

spend some time studying and even copying the work of some artists you really admire.

draw, draw, draw. This is the obvious suggestion that you don't want to hear, but the only thing that's really going to get you where you want to go is earning your chops at the drawing board.

oh, and think about your media and technique. Your craftsmanship is a bit sloppy with the colored pencil. I don't want to see the white of the paper.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Dr_Watsman

Post by Dr_Watsman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:56 pm

In my humble opinion, I think the fastest way to get really good at drawing is to spend every waking moment doing it...probably not the answer you want to hear but its the truth. Specifically, if there is a figure drawing group near you, go. The people you meet there will likely be more than happy to share with you their knowledge. Be willing to listen. If there isn't a figure drawing group near you, places where you can inconspicuously draw people going about their daily business works. More specifically, I notice you do something I had to break myself of doing, which is to make nervous lines. By nervous lines, I mean it looks like you make tiny movements at first instead of large, sweeping ones to block out the shape and form of what you are drawing. You will have to find your own way to break this habit. What worked for me was to sort of space out and go cross-eyed so that I could see the thing I'm drawing in one blurry shape. The downside is that you look like a fool doing this...You might want to play around with using erasable colored pencils for the initial sketch then using some other medium above that for the final image. This will improve your line quality. The last advice I have is just my personal opinion. NEVER draw something on lined paper without an extremely good reason. It just looks cheap and even if the image is amazing, its on an unstable non-archival surface. I hope my rambling in some way helped.