Soap Scum / Space Quest Promo Cards

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
James_80

Soap Scum / Space Quest Promo Cards

Post by James_80 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:51 am

I have been quite intimidated by the vast amount of talent on this forum but I have finally decided to post some work I have done here.

These are some promotional post cards that I have done up an improv soap opera group called Soap Scum. They are 4 x 5.5 and each on is a figure and a bust of one of the soap opera characters. On the back of each card is the logo which I also designed for them.

I coloured these in shades of grey for two reasons.

Reason the first, I wanted to make use of the Soap Scum colour which is green so I chose to colour them in the style of old 50's space movies that were shot in black and white. I could then use the green to focus on certain elements of the characters such as science, brain eating, weapons or significant pieces of their costume.

The second reason is I am not great with colour and I thought that by working with a limited palette it might help me work out how to layer colour better when I start to add colour. It was a good exercise on how highlight and shadow work.

I would appreciate any criticism given.

Cheers

Last edited by James_80 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patdzon

Post by patdzon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:07 am

I love the sexbot and the professor!

James_80

Apology

Post by James_80 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:19 pm

I must apologize I tried to post these images and the only way I could get the images to stick were to link them from my blog and I wanted to link them one a day on my blog but I wanted to post them all at once here. So I posted them all on my blog, then I linked them here and erased them from my blog.

Sounds kind of dumb eh?

Well it was, sure enough all the images except one broke their links. I was not expecting as many people to check out my stuff and I feel like an ass that they have been disappointed with nothing to see.

Well I am here to correct the problem all the images have been posted on my blog

http://www.kalamafraz.blogspot.com

I will continue to research why these images will not upload onto this forum.

James_80

Finally!!!

Post by James_80 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:11 pm

James_80

Concept Sketches

Post by James_80 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:40 am

These are some concept sketches done of a few more characters to be made into cards. I've named them Timmytron and the brain

Timmytron

The Brain

James_80

Oh...My...Gawd!!!

Post by James_80 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:42 am

This is the space Zombie Spook Getting excited.

James_80

The Brain in colour

Post by James_80 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Here is the image of the brain coloured in. I'll post the computer soon.

campy22

Post by campy22 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 am

AH!
I really like that color scheme..the grey and green !
Works really well

James_80

Computer and thanks

Post by James_80 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:13 am

Here is the last image computer. In the show the computer has no tangible form. However the narrator who plays the role of Computer also plays the piano and plays the guitar. So I gave Computer some form with rockets, instruments, multiple limbs and an imac screen.

Oh, I just remembered I did two colour versions of two guest stars at the show. I'll post those tomorrow.

Pascal! Thank-you. You are one of the first people to respond to my work. I appreciate the encouragement.

If you are wondering what a Monday in Winnipeg is like, just imagine all these characters live on-stage.

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Fun shot of the excited space zombie, so much character in that one!

James_80

thanks

Post by James_80 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Thanks Sanaril,

I do a lot of my sketching on my work breaks so I sometimes get a nice expression or loose drawing but I get impatient with my colouring process and it shows.

I'll just keep at it, cause I love doing it.

Thank you so much for the complement.

It's been a good day today!

James_80

Guest Stars

Post by James_80 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:04 pm

These are some colour illustrations I did of two of the guest stars in SpaceQuest. Raisen RedDwarf and Yan SoSo. They are smugglers Soso holds the position of Captain and leader, but Raisen is really the brains of the whole operation.

Since they only guest star I chose not to do them in the gray and green colour palette. Also I wanted to take a stab at doing some colour work.

That marks the end of my SpaceQuest sketches.

Thanks to everybody for their comments and encouragement. It means an awful lot to me.

Cheers

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:20 am

I hate to be the party pooper, but I think Vivendi still holds the copyright to "SpaceQuest" from the old 80's computer games...

James_80

Pooper?

Post by James_80 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:38 am

No pooping at this party Mr.

I'm not too concerned as the theatrical show wraps up this coming Monday, and after theater rental and beers, profit usually equals zero.

We're just doing this for kicks.

Thanks for the heads up on that though, if anything is done with the property in the future it will help avoid any awkward law suites or identity disputes.

Well I'm off to see if I can find the 80's SpaceQuest game on the net.

I don't remember it. I was more of a Karateka and LoadRunner guy myself.

Cheers

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:50 am

Space Quest IV is freaking sweet, if not masochistically hard. They don't even give you the first warp code once you get into the pod, so you have to spend 20 minutes just guessing the darn thing, the write the stupid code down and hang on to it as you play the whole game! The ending is great though and it's fun to get your pants zapped off of you by girls that seem to be out of Heavy Metal. "That must've been the finest example of bunny snatching I have ever seen!" Also, the tongue icon is the most useless icon ever...but it's also one of the most fun buttons ever.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.